1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Head lights & signal.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 10:04 PM
chevysman21
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head lights & signal.

Hi all I finished fixing the burnt wires on my 89 Dakota (at least so I thought)lol...I replaced all the burnt wires and fuses and all burnt out bulbs but now driving during day light hours its fine but when I use my headlights I have no signal lights and visa versa. Its an 89 Dakota with 3.9l 5 speed 2wdr man. trans. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your time .

Old 09-21-2013, 10:29 AM
jockjock
Amateur

It would seem its time for you to go relay hunting

Old 09-21-2013, 05:19 PM
chevysman21

how and what do I use to test them when I find them...all I have is a moto master digital multi meter ...and what setting should I have the meter set on?.I am new to electrical,well not that new but new enough...lol

Old 09-21-2013, 08:02 PM
jockjock
Amateur

Originally Posted by chevysman21
how and what do I use to test them when I find them...all I have is a moto master digital multi meter ...and what setting should I have the meter set on?.I am new to electrical,well not that new but new enough...lol
Trace your wires back from the lights, I dunno where you will find all of them as it seems that depending on the year they moved them around. My father in laws 95 has them up above the power steering pump and beside the washer resevoir. My 96 has them on the passenger side above the wheel well, beside the engine bay relay box (which might be where yours are) and beside the lights themselves. As far as testing, you can jury rig a couple wires from your battery to the power terminals on the relays and then jury rig more to a small light, apply power to the switch pin and watch the light go on, or if it is an always on circuit you can see the light turn off. The easier way is to find an accessory that already works fine (like A/C) and pull its main relay. Then just swap relays as you go. Putting the old relay in place of the acc and the acc relay where that came from.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:21 PM
chevysman21
Talking

Thank you very much...this seems a lot easier then what I had pictured in my mind...again Thank you.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:46 PM
chevysman21

well the headlights and signal lights work at the same time but now when I signal either way and pull the headlight switch out(turn on) the signal lights slow down.I noticed that the head light switch plug has been heated up because I saw 2 connections that have been burnt or melted,one was the grounding plug and the other was the middle post in the row closest to the dash ,replaced h/l switch any way and still the same,replaced both flashers as well .I had to shut down early because the truck was needed but will pick up when she gets back.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:03 PM
craZivn
Rookie

Are you sure you wired it correctly when you replaced the wires? I'm looking at the schematic in my factory service manual (I happen to have the exact same truck as you except mine's an auto) and the BLACK w/YELLOW TRACER wires, which plug into the BROWN wires at the headlamps, all connect to the headlight switch, while the TAN wires (for the right turn signal) and the LIGHT GREEN wires (for the left) must run only to the turn signal switch and be kept separate from each other.

The black wires are all ground wires.

If any of the headlamp wires got accidentally spliced into either or both of the the turn signal circuits it could cause the symptoms that you have.

So first thing I would do is turn on the headlights and check to make sure that the TAN and LIGHT GREEN wires are not "hot". They should only be powered when the turn signal or hazards are on.

The front side marker lights should remain OFF when the headlights are turned on, they are only used for turn signal/hazards.

The front running/park lamps (amber ones just below the headlights) should be ON when the headlights are on, but should flash brightly when the turn signal or hazard switch is on. (These are dual-filament bulbs just like the taillights.)

If you want I can snap a picture of the schematic in my book and email it to ya if it helps.

Ivan

Old 09-23-2013, 06:00 PM
chevysman21
Thumbs up

Hi Ivan, that would be awesome if you can do this...im about my witts end with this truck lol but not gonna give up...email me at chevysman21@yahoo.com with any pics or diagrams and thank you .
Kevin

Old 09-23-2013, 11:50 PM
craZivn
Rookie

Emails sent! There are three of them, containing a total of five pics. Hope it helps!

Let me know if they come through ok. Sent them from my Gmail address, crazyivan888.

Ivan

Old 09-27-2013, 02:30 PM
chevysman21

Thanx for the pics Ivan but still no go.I guess I will just keep plugging at it and see where it takes me.

Quick Reply: Head lights & signal.