1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

3.9 la to 3.9 magnum swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 02:13 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3.9 la to 3.9 magnum swap

well I picked up a 3.9l out of a 94 4x4 to put in my 91 4x4.
it came with the wiring, pcm, all new sensors, flex p
ate, 22g fuel tank, and 60/40 bench seat for an xbox360 that I had laying around.

I went throuh the faq and didnt see much(if anything) on a v6la to v6magnum swap so I hope this will help.

I already have a 94 trans in the truck I believe all I need is trans fluid, fluid for the tc, an exhaust(I have 92 manifolds and y-pipe),and an oxygen sensor. oh and coolant.

anything else I might be missing?
forgive me for any mispellings Im on a tablet and my fingers are too big for the buttons(pc is broken)

Old 10-28-2013, 02:53 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

it even comes with the motor mounts which look the same

Old 10-28-2013, 06:28 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star

Originally Posted by shadowthedakota
well I picked up a 3.9l out of a 94 4x4 to put in my 91 4x4.
it came with the wiring, pcm, all new sensors, flex p
ate, 22g fuel tank, and 60/40 bench seat for an xbox360 that I had laying around.

I went throuh the faq and didnt see much(if anything) on a v6la to v6magnum swap so I hope this will help.

I already have a 94 trans in the truck I believe all I need is trans fluid, fluid for the tc, an exhaust(I have 92 manifolds and y-pipe),and an oxygen sensor. oh and coolant.

anything else I might be missing?
forgive me for any mispellings Im on a tablet and my fingers are too big for the buttons(pc is broken)
Wow! You scored big! Change out all the fluids on the motor. Oil change should be first. Maybe while you have it out, take the intake off and do the plenum fix while it's easy. If you feel ambitious you could do the kegger mod while you got the plenum off. 180 thermostat too. Do you got the accessories as well or are you transferring yours over? Reason I ask is I'm not too sure they will bolt on. The 3.9 mag uses a serpentine belt and has a bracket that holds all the accessories together. Other than that, I think you got it covered. Don't forget pics, I'm interested in the outcome.

Good luck!

Old 10-28-2013, 07:19 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

it came with everything but the rad. even the starter and the headlight wiring.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:16 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

well I worked till my back gave out(sad for only being 24). I have the engine in and a ton of pics. i need a serpentine belt, rad(mines shot but will work for now). I really just need to figure out the wiring differences(if any) going into the cab and how the vacuum lines are runs since mine all separated during install. and how to convert my fuel system to returnless

Old 11-04-2013, 12:05 AM
keilkravec
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The system switch was covered in my questions, you'll need to add the regulator part on the fuel pump, unless you have the 94 or later pump assembly in the tank already. then just cap off or remove the return line.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:11 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

I figured it out right after I posted it. I've been out of town since last thursday. my friend left his old broken fuel pump from his 96 ram at my house so I swapped the regulator and removed the return line.

I also need to see if the iac is dead or just needs to be cleaned because the throttle has to be held open for the motor to fire.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:44 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

i'm having some problems uploading the pics to photobucket. not sure if its my tablet or the site(site seems to be slow when logging in).

but there was some differences in wiring(didnt affect anything that i've noticed)

Name:  redcircles_zps8612bf63.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  161.8 KB

the connector on the right is the new one the one on the left is the old one

there might be some more that i'm missing but like i stated before everything worked fine as far as gauges even my oil pressure gauge worked(it didnt before).

Old 11-04-2013, 11:06 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been working on adapting a Magnum '94 harness into my '89 Dak which, I think is very similar to a '91 (pre-Magnum). I've collected quite a bit of info on this, and I can't say everything I've done will work - I believe it will though.

Probably the most important thing I found in my case is that the '89 has a chassis harness that goes from the engine bay area to the rear of the truck via a couple of connectors that are found under the steering column area (one is 8-pin, another is 6-pin). These connectors plug into the engine bay harness and carry wiring for the fuel pump, fuel sender, rear lighting, and rear anti-lock brakes.

The '94 engine harness I have doesn't have the connectors on it to mate up with these chassis connections. Instead, the '94 (probably all Magnums) pass these wires into the cab via the big bulkhead connector (C116) and then out again thru another connector (C207) that takes them to the rear components. That causes a few changes in the bulkhead connector. Most things are the same, but not all. I can provide more detail if needed, but you can either adapt the later engine bay harness to feed the old chassis connectors, or just use the '94 chassis harness.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:12 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

my 91 has the the connectors in the cab for the fuel pump and the lights ect... since i had the the complete wiring harness with the i swapped it in instead of splicing into the 91 harness. which i know the 91 harness had a separate connector for the wires running to the trans which the magnum harnesses didnt(i say magnum harnesses because my 93 v8 had the same set up as what i installed).

i think the extra pins i had were for the tach, the 4x4 light(i could be wrong on the light) and cruise(my truck didnt come with cruise control). but it was only 4 pins that were different

Quick Reply: 3.9 la to 3.9 magnum swap