1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Engine cut out at speed. Backfiring?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 01:40 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Alfons, Thanks. I looked that up online and it seems there is a "sync" system not a timing system for the 1994 3.9 V6 Magnum engine. I'm gonna have to do more research after reading my Hanes manual as I am unsure of how exactly to get TDC on this motor in case I need to reset the Distributor from scratch. It also occurs that the problem may be the switch plate after reading the manual.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:09 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

I replaced the part which Napa calls a Pick-up not a switch plate as it is designated in the Hanes manual. It installed easily enough and improved the motor more. I did notice the new rotor has some play in it. It can go 1/8th inch either way if you twist it in place.

There is still some noise which now definitely sounds like the valve issue you mention Alfons.
I checked the "flash" codes after installing and driving and I have a 46- Charging system output too high.
I'm starting to wonder if at any point this thing will stabilize and start running right.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:23 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

I had the battery and alternator checked. They said the battery was bad. I replaced battery. No more code for overcharging.

Anyone know how to test the wiring harness's for faults? I suspect my problems are mainly electrical in nature and I don't want to buy a performance PCM before I know the wires will work.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:46 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

they had a bulletin about the bushing in the block that the dist shaft rides in wearing out, but if all you had was 1/8 total I think they all had a little... could be the slot on the rotor just a leetle too narrow or the "screwdriver slot" on the bottom of the distributor having play in the dist drive gear...

Old 12-03-2013, 01:00 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

Anyone know what the proper name of the diagnostic tool or dongle connector is for the 94 Dakota? Where do I get one? I'm asking because I was lead to believe by a dealer service tech that having this direct computer connection with a laptop give more info than reading the flash codes would. My system is OBD1. I can't find much by searching so far.

Volaredon I called the dealer and he seemed to think there wasn't an issue with the distributor then I noticed he was manipulating me, he interrupted me and kept trying to steer me into paying for a diagnosis hooked up to the laptop. He had no idea or pretended he didn't when i tried to get the answer to the question I am asking he didn't even know what a dongle was. It is the name given to any wire that connects from your computer to whatever thing you are connecting to.

EDIT
I have found this http://www.toolsource.com/canobd-cod...0-p-99787.html
The video makes it look very attractive even though it seems pretty pricey, yet leaves me not knowing whether or not it will give me any more info than the flash codes already have. It also doesn't mention if you can make adjustments from it. Hopefully more experienced people on here can tell me.

EDIT
Contacted the manufacturer. They say the reader only reads & deletes OBD1 check engine flash codes which makes it useless for me since I know how to read the flash codes off the dash.

Is there any information that a dealers computer can read other than the flash codes we all can read ourselves?

EDIT3
Seems like this thread is exhausted I'll repost the question in a new thread.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 12-04-2013 at 09:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine cut out at speed. Backfiring?