1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

ox sensor respond to intake manifold and heads upgrate

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Hansuman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ox sensor respond to intake manifold and heads upgrate

Can anyone tell me if the ox sensor will go crazy if I do a head swap (360 for stock) and pro-flo 2 / M1 or Edelbrock FI intake manifold replacement on my 318 magnum? If so, what can be done about that?

Dodge Dakota 5.2 magnum 1996

Old 12-05-2013, 10:38 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

My understanding is that the 5.9 heads are the same as the 5.2. As for the other stuff, when you disconnect your battery while you're working on the intake stuff, it will reset the PCM and it will relearn the sensor & flow settings. I think it would probably be advisable to replace the O2 sensors at the same time, but other than that the PCM should have no problems.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:19 AM
AZ 360 Dakota
Veteran

The PCM can make up for some improvements you make. I installed a 5.9 and continued to use the 5.2 PCM. It ran okay and seemed to have a lean misfire at idle. When I looked at the fuel trims I could see that they were pegged lean, the computer was dumping fuel to make up the difference but it wasn't enough. I increased the fuel pressure and the fuel trims leveled out back to close to zero. I doubt installing the M1 manifold will make any difference but a better flowing head or larger valves might. You can read here https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-360-swap.html what I did to fix my lean problem.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:16 AM
Hansuman

awesome - thanks guys, then I'll make this happen early next year

Quick Reply: ox sensor respond to intake manifold and heads upgrate