1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

seat belt retraction assembley

Old 12-02-2013, 12:50 PM
daksnbeers
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seat belt retraction assembley

I've been slowley changing my interior to a black on grey scheme from tan. Any ideas on what dodge models used the same seat belt retraction assembly? I want to find a pair with black belts. I'm going to assume maybe the ram.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:33 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

I dunno if anything did but there is some interchange between Dakotas and the FWD cars I know the AC and heat system does except the hoses,,, same core same evaporator same control head
and one of the mags sis a story about a bucket/console swap from a Turismo/Omni "Charger" I know the 90s FWDs had the same style buckle release as the Dakotas did, no full size did

and what are you doing with the tan stuff? I know a guy local that did what you want to do and he went to the JY and got a whole nother interior a couple pieces at a time in a hodhepodge of colors thenwent and got black vinyl dye from the parts store... I got some of his tan stuff fo mine but still need a few pieces, some I mangled on install other parts I never did get... and could use... I have most of a good tan interior in mine just want it to all match and be in good shape,,, don't throw away any of your left over tan seems like this part of the country got all the gray stuff as that's all thas in the local yards... I do see an OCCASIONAL burgundy...

Old 12-03-2013, 01:16 AM
daksnbeers
Professional

I've painted all the interior plastic. Took it all out scuff sanded and cleaned it with tsp to get any residue from arrmor all and like products to ensure a good bond. Did 2 light coats of primmer then a thinker coat of primmer. Doing a flat black on satin grey. All took about a week painted the black first then let it cure a few days to mask then paint the grey let it cure a few more days before I put it back in. I swapped the 60/40 front seats out for grey buckets from a 2001 dakota had to use my factory sliders though. Removed the back seats going to build a speaker box to go in the back like in a reg cab but try and keep use of the storage compartments which I tore the carpet off of and rhino lined with rattle cans.

If u need tan seats you can private message me their in real good shape for 20 years old one cig burn in the longer back bench seat that was their when I bought it. Not faded bad or anything. Just taking ip space in my shed so ill give em to you if u figure out shipping.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:56 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker

no I have another set of seats, I am more interested in some of the plastic trim... bottom half of dash (glovebox) and A pillar trim mainly

Where abouts are you located? if close, it would be worth a road trip/ otherwise shipping would probably kill it for me...
hafta look I think I have a set of seat belts but theyd be tan.... maybe you could dye them? I dunno.... I know they "don't recommend" doing that
Sounds like your truck (stock as built by Dodge) was an exact twin to mine

Old 12-04-2013, 10:00 PM
daksnbeers
Professional

I'm located in orlando florida. I don't want to die my belts in all honesty wouldn't be worth the possibility of ruining a bunch of shirts. Yeah keeping the bottom half of the dash too. Need to get that out and repaint it still. Need to find another upper dash that's in good shape and paint it mines is so dry rotted and cracked in a few spots would probably fall apart if I tried to get it out. Dash mats look so cheesy in my opinion so that's not an option.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:20 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

daksnbeers. I keep running into parts sites when looking for something else. Here's a couple of sites that have interior stuff
http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto...html?3594=1904

http://www.andysautosport.com/

Old 12-05-2013, 07:12 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker

I just did my upper dash last weekend (replaced it) as I had to pull it out to replace a leaky heater core anyway... I had my "new" dash here for like a year waiting for a "good" time to swap it out.... my replacement dash was gray, and I "guessed" on what shade of brown/tan dye to buy, trying to match the rest of my (still stock) interior, and my guess was a lil dark... but I couldn't exactly drive my truck into the Car Quest store and park down the paint aisle either LOL if you know what I mean I may pull the rrest of the plastic and do like you're doing, come Spring. Car Quest had plenty of cans of the stuff I used, left on the shelf.
but even being darker than the original, it looks better than if I'd have put my new dash in as I got it, the replacement came to me gray.
and it definitely looks 100 times better, being its intact and not all cracked up like the old one that I took out...

there is the issue of the VIN tag, as it is attached to the dash...you change the dash, the VIN tag goes with...Vin tag rivets are "special" not just your hardware store variety
after asking on a few of the other automotive forums I am a part of, I did come up with a solution..I don't know the laws where you are, they do vary... it may not be an issue where you are at, I don't know. as the VIN is stamped in several spots on the cab and the door jamb sticker that would still match your title. there are a couple ways you can solve that issue if need be.. a receipt showing where you bought the replacement dash pad> with the VIN that's on the new dash listed on it would help, but you'd want to keep that with the truck all the time.

there are companies that make a vinyl overlay molded the same as stock that glues on over your crappy dash, that is available in "stock" colors and i've seen a couple done this way and they do look good. They have a "window" where the VIN tag is so that would become a "non-issue" if you went that route.

Last edited by volaredon; 12-05-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:23 AM
daksnbeers
Professional

If you're going to repaint I highley suggest rubbing it down with tsp before hand then with a rag with straight water. Painters use it with a chemical pick up on a pressure washer to clean plastic siding on homes before they paint. I'm in florida which has some lax road laws. They don't require yearly inspections. I have also thought of possible seeing if a local interior shop could do the over lay on my dash, need my headliner redone with charcoal grey anyway. Any reason you want your interior tan? I hated it.

Oh I need to get a new steering wheel too. Might just go after market although I do like the stock wheel on the 93. Just no idea how well die would last or might find a second gen dak wheel in a junkyard w/o a airbag.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:55 AM
daksnbeers
Professional

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
daksnbeers. I keep running into parts sites when looking for something else. Here's a couple of sites that have interior stuff
http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto...html?3594=1904

http://www.andysautosport.com/
Thanks. Ill be sure to check them out.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:29 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by daksnbeers
If you're going to repaint I highley suggest rubbing it down with tsp before hand then with a rag with straight water. Painters use it with a chemical pick up on a pressure washer to clean plastic siding on homes before they paint. I'm in florida which has some lax road laws. They don't require yearly inspections. I have also thought of possible seeing if a local interior shop could do the over lay on my dash, need my headliner redone with charcoal grey anyway. Any reason you want your interior tan? I hated it.

Oh I need to get a new steering wheel too. Might just go after market although I do like the stock wheel on the 93. Just no idea how well die would last or might find a second gen dak wheel in a junkyard w/o a airbag.
well 93 is the newest Dakota without an airbag... I have 2 extra steering wheels here both from 93s both tan.
I just left mine tan because that's how it was when I got it, I don't think it looks all that bad. I have just changed what's been needed to replace for wear and tear, on what is now a 21 yo truck and the steering column plastic which is different from auto to a stick.. I bought my truck with a supposedly dead auto tranny, I swapped it over to a 5 speed (since that's what I had laying here) and didn't want the A/T shift lever hanging there doing nothing...
there is a guy in my town with a 92 that has been customized a bit/ roll pan in place of stock bumper, license plate set into the tailgate at an angle, etc His truck's still in primer at the moment (I think he was lookin for the "mark III" ground effects and such yet last I saw him)
Anyway he did the same tan to black that you want to do and he went to the local yard and got replacement plastic and seats out of a different kind of vehicle to put into his truck, and I ended up with *some* of his left over stock tan plastic and the front seats, but not the pieces I need... I got the covers from the back seats, the carpet, the seat belts and I forget what else but the pieces I still want for mine, he dyed and re used
I just drive the **** out of my truck, 90-some a day every day... and I just want to maintain it the best I can, knowing the miles are piling on. At the moment it has 157K on it, I got it with 130K on it (didn't have the job I do now when I got it) I just had to do the heater core in it last week but for the most part it has been a very dependable truck so far
unlss the frame breaks, it gets wrecked bad enough I cant fix it or someone offers me a ridiculous $$$$$ for it (I do not have it for sale but have had comments at the gas station LOL) it aint goin anywhere.
I spent the cash on the best tires money can buy over this past summer (Michelin LTX) and I spent more for a set of tires than I originally paid for the truck... but I wouldn't have bought such expensive tires if I didn't have intentions of driving my Dakota til I can wear them out... the last set of these, I got 80K out of and they still had tread on them
and I like to camp, it has proven a great truck for that, that I can load with gear and pull my popup with and not feel it behind me

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: seat belt retraction assembley