Driving the truck soon ? LOL don't make me laugh....
So what happens when the rest of the front end looks great and the frame doesn't ?
Especially if the complete interior and and engine is already removed from the cab ?
You decide to strip and paint the frame of course ! :P
I had some friends help me lift the box off the frame, but I needed to come up with some other method for the cab.
In the end, I actually DROPPED the frame from the cab.
Yeah.. dropped.. not lifted.
I put some large 24" truck jack stands under the cab (in addition to the ones already under the frame), and securely strapped a transmission jack to the front of the frame.
I then, unbolted the cab, and LOWERED the frame away from the cab.
Since the rear axle and wheels were still attached, I could use the transmission jack as the front wheels, and 'simply' rolled the frame backwards from under the cab.
Then I did something stupid. Or maybe more stupid.. depending on your perspective.
I, along with the help of my wife, manually stripped the paint, undercoating and rust from the frame.
BTW: Undercoating sucks.. It not only holds moisture to the frame, it's a hassle to remove and does little to reduce noise.
If you ever restore a vehicle.....don't apply more undercoating. Just wash your vehicle more often, and use something interior matting to sound proof a vehicle if needed.
DON"T DO THIS !, unless you live on the moon and can't get it sandblasted for a reasonable price.
The cost of the rolloc sanding disks, wire wheels, a bag of blasting beads, and the time involved, was NOT worth it.
For a small bit more, I could have had the local large industrial blasting shop do the job. And we could have spent our time on better things.
Like..... painting the frame with RustBullet, to the accompaniment of the local racing fuel plant exploding a few miles away.
We were in the middle of painting the frame and.... "BOOOM.. whaaa ??? My god.. look at that fireball !"
On to the back axle:
I decided to use the axle that was from the second truck, thinking it appeared in better shape.
WRONG... after striping the paint with a wire wheel and painting it, I discovered the planetary gears in the diff were damaged.
Luckily, after checking the micrometer, I found the planetaries from the other would fit along with the shims I had.
Install the gears, put in some new synthetic gear oil, and I moved on to the leaf springs.
Some people say you shouldn't wast time painting leaf springs because the paint fails quickly.
I ignored that and did it anyhow. I figure I can always get under there and touch them up as needed.
the leaf springs use 3 bushings each side. 2 in the spring and one in the shackle.
I installed some new 'energy suspension' urethane bushing in the leaf springs themselves, and then got some OEM shackles (they come with bushings installed and I gave up finding a aftermarket replacement) from the dealer.
I then re-installed the springs and rear axle, with new bolts from the local spring shop. (see photos on next post)