1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Speaker help 93 dodge dakota

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 05:18 PM
cloomis555
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker help 93 dodge dakota

Hey yall, my Dakota I picked up a few weeks ago had no front speakers and a bad radio module with no signal. I bought a new head unit and new speakers. My only problem is I know close to nothing about speaker wiring. I know basics but not enough to know how to run new speaker wires to the doors (there are none) or how to wire the head unit. If any of yall have any experience with this or have pictures etc, id appreciate it. Thanks!

Old 03-25-2014, 06:53 PM
jockjock
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The doors should have rubber hose looking pieces in them. They are hollow and meant for wire. If you are not amplifying your signal, use 16 gauge nickel plated Oxygen Free 100% copper wire. The wires for the front and back should be the same type, so rip the rears out if you need to. The rear wires are meant to travel over the upper sill trim and then down to the speaker. GET EPDM tape if you can (at some home depots), its a foam tape about 1/4 inch thick and super sticky, when you have the panel off for the rears tape the wire down or it will bang/slide around. It is not necessary for above the sill. The wires for the passenger side are supposed to run behind your dash until you get to the door ports, there are holes where zip tie plugs were used and can be reused with normal ties or EPDM tape. To reach this, just take off your cupholders. The driver side is almost the exact opposite of the passenger with the exception of the wire are supposed to run under the steering column and may or may not be part of the factory loom, having split loom is great for this as you can run the wire to the factory loom. Then behind it with no loom, and more loom after until you reach the interior panel, carefully bring it over the fusebox and then down the panel behind everything, insure proper use of ebrake pedal is still possible. Snake it into the door for the front, run it up into the sill trim for the rear. PM if you have any more questions, I used to do this for a living and still do it on the side here and there

Quick Reply: Speaker help 93 dodge dakota