1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

front suspension help...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 08:24 PM
jake122288
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front suspension help...

Well my upper control arm bushings were shot so i ordered them and started tear down today. Turns out im going to need a few more things as well.

First off the shaft that bolts the upper control arm to the frame bracket broke... is that only available with getting a whole new (used) control arm? Is there a difference in years? In the parts manual it lists a different number for 91, 92, 93.... just wondering what years i can actually use? and hoping the other side doesnt break as well)

Second off i started working on the drivers side and the adjusting bolt broke for the torsion bar key... I found a place to purchase the swivel, but i am not finding any information on the bolt itself....

Is there any tricks to remove the torsion bar keys from the torsion bar and to get the torsion bar out of the control arm? I have sprayed everything down constantly yesterday and today with penetrating oil as i was tearing stuff down

Last edited by jake122288; 04-17-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:27 AM
RobertMc
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure about the control arm bar/shaft year differences.
The bar only comes out when you remove the bushings so you would likely need to get a whole used upper arm.

How did the bar break ?

If bushings are hard to remove, I simply use a torch to set the rubber bushing on fire so that it melts. (making sure I don't heat the actual metal parts too much)
Taking the bushing's outer shell out and removing the inner metal sleeve is usually easy after that.

Not sure about any possible cross reference/source for the torsion bar adjuster bolt.
Those bars are real ugly to remove after they get rust in the socket.
I removed my arms with the torsion bars still attached.
Since I'm doing a complete restoration I then soaked and removed the bars afterwards, but there's really no need.
(Keep in mind that the lower arm bushing are no longer officially available. I had to modify some aftermarket ones from a different year/model)

Quick Reply: front suspension help...