1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Back Up light socket (bulb holder) for my '92 Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 03:29 PM
lsigrandson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back Up light socket (bulb holder) for my '92 Dakota

Where can I find some new rear back up light socket (bulb holder/pigtails) for my '92 Dakota? They are getting so rusted out that the driver side has lost its ground and doesn't work anymore and the passenger side is getting close. I've searched the 'net high and low and can't come up with anything solid. The only other option I have is to look at a local junk yard, but there's no guarantee that they won't be in any better shape.

In 2009, I found the rear turn signal pigtails (bulb holder) on autopartswarehouse.com but they don't seem to carry them anymore.

Last question, will a turn signal bulb socket work in place of the back up? The back up socket is a two wire and the turn signal is a three.

Thanks!

Mike

Old 04-18-2014, 04:15 PM
SteveDes
Rookie

I have found that NAPA seems to carry some odd electrical items that's where I found the plug for the Vehicle speed sensor and they were also the only ones around here that had the dash light bulbs also. I don't think the turn signal plug would work.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:34 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just picked up some from a newer truck... i beleive they used 3157 and just wired up the brake light side(brighter) but while i was at it i replaced all 4 pigtails with the same.. this way same bulb as wifes car lol *YONK*!

Old 04-25-2014, 11:38 AM
RobertMc
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I'm looking for parts that are harder to find I sometimes check some manufacturer catalogs first, then find out who their retailers are.
That way, I can order something the retailers don't normally stock.

For sockets, coonectors etc.:

JTT has most of that type of thing. Either them or the Standard Brand division of Standard Motor Products (SMP).

Here's what I found with a quick check of JTT's retail website:
http://www.thebestconnection.com/sin...uct_Code=2879F
http://www.thebestconnection.com/sin...uct_Code=2571F

Looks like you can order them online directly in addition to contacting them for the name of a local retailer.

If you check the catalog, under the products menu of that site, you will get a photo of all the connectors they sell. Sometimes the connector is not listed specifically for your vehicle, but they actually sell it.

It's always good to compare the actual photo and info and not rely on the accuracy of ANY manufacturers application database/listing.
EDIT/UPDATE: My most recent example of that was trying to get new motor mounts for my 3.9 4WD. All the listings I found were wrong.

Last edited by RobertMc; 04-25-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:45 PM
lsigrandson

Thanks for the info RobertMc. I'll perhaps give them a try. What I really need is just the housing, the wiring is in good shape. I'll have to see if the turn signal/stop light housing will fit where the back-up housing goes. If it's interchangeable I may just buy the turn signal housing and rewire it.

Mike

Quick Reply: Back Up light socket (bulb holder) for my '92 Dakota