1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

fuel filter replacement

Old 04-24-2014, 02:20 PM
Hansm14
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel filter replacement

I am thinking about replacing my filter,but according to the book,I need to de- pressureize the system first.Is there an easy safe way to do this? 94 Dakota,V8 fuel injection SLT, automatic 4x4.Thanks

Old 04-24-2014, 02:44 PM
RobertMc
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The early Dakotas have a filter on the frame, but that changed in 1994.

The 94 Dakota V8 has 2 filters.
1) Inlet filter on the bottom of the fuel pump inside the fuel tank (requires you to remove the fule pump, which requires you to lift the box from the truck or remove the fuel tank)
2) Combo Fuel filter/regulator which is on the top of the fuel pump, outside the tank (also requires you to lift the box from the truck or remove the fuel tank)

There are various ways to handle that. There's a video on youtube where some guys use some old milk crates to the hold the driver side of the box up to get at the pump and filter. They loosened the passenger side bolts, and removed the driver side bolts.
Done that way, you likely don't need to totally remove the box. Just tilt it up.

Keep in mind, the cab bolts may be really rusty etc.

Safe way to de-pressurize the fuel lines ? Not sure what you mean really.
Wear some safety glasses, disconnect the battery, and take the line off at the filter on the fuel tank, when the engine is cold, and let the fuel spray out as the pressure drops.
As long as the fuel pump is not powered, and nothing is hot, it's not an issue unless you spray it in your eyes or drink the stuff.

The fuel line uses a special plastic clip at the pump assembly
Always good to use a new locking clip section, and fuel clip O-rings on the fuel line after you put in the new filter. The last thing you want, is the fuel line to come off, or a leak, after all that effort.

It's not a big deal over all, It just take a bit of time and effort to do it.

Last edited by RobertMc; 04-24-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:01 PM
Hansm14
Rookie

My book shows the filter attached to the frame,under the box.However it says to de -pressureize the system first. Should,nt just unbolt it and disconnect it.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:25 PM
DukeDomB
Rookie

Take the lid off of the power distribution center under the hood and find the fuel pump relay. Pull the relay out and then start up (or attempt to start up) the truck. It will shortly die or won't start at all without the pump running. You will then be de-pressurized.

Alternatively, use a Flathead screwdriver to press on the Schrader valve on the driver side fuel rail, while covering the aperture with a rag. This will let the fuel pressure spray out into the rag.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:51 PM
RobertMc
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hansm14
My book shows the filter attached to the frame,under the box.However it says to de -pressureize the system first. Should,nt just unbolt it and disconnect it.
Yeah, there is confusion about them.

I did a fuel pump not that long ago on a customer's '94. It did not have a frame mounted filter.

If you look at the factory parts manual in the faq section of the site, it will show you the location and part number of the filter.
The frame mounted ones were used on the 4cyl in 1994. They were also used on 93 and older.
Most non oem service manuals show multiple years, without making allowance for model changes.
It is possible that your truck was built in the month when the models changed over. Many times you see the same year built with 2 different parts., depending on exact month built.

Easy way to check... look at the driver side frame near the fuel tank and see if a filter is there.

If it's there, you just saved a pile of time.

--

In most cases, It doesn't makes a difference if you bleed the system through a schrader valve with a rag or slowly undo a hose clamp with a rag over it. Either method sprays fuel out, and releases the pressure.

The problem is, modern systems use fuel line "clips" that make it hard to remove them if there is any pressure in the line. This is especially true if you don't have a fuel fitting release tool.

DukeBomB's method is the "right" way to do it. All depends on your tools and what you are used to.

The earlier trucks with the frame mounted filter didn't use clips, so they're simple. If it's frame mounted, you should get some new rubber fuel injection hose and fuel injection clamps in addition to the filter. Don't use simple gear clamps like you see on radiator hoses.

Good luck !

Last edited by RobertMc; 04-24-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:27 PM
DukeDomB
Rookie

To add on to what RobertMc said about hose and clamps, I thought it would be helpful if I included a link to a thread I started about changing out the filter and all of that stuff. My thread will be useful to you IF you have the early filter-on-rail style. I scratched my head for a while until I had mentally figured out, and then I did the job, it was relatively easy. The thread will help you select the right parts.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...se-clamps.html

Old 04-24-2014, 07:35 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

To De-Pressurize there is a thing on the rear drivers side of the fuel rail to the Injectors that looks exactly like the cap on your tire fill valve and under it the same thing you'll find in the tire fill valve. Get a rag and a screwdriver and depress the pin you'll get a short small jet of gas and the system is depressurized.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 04-24-2014 at 07:37 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fuel filter replacement