1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Just got Tranny serviced..How normal is this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 06:24 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Just got Tranny serviced..How normal is this?

I think I have discovered something of a mechanics deception/trick if not outright dishonest practice.
So I bought this thing a few months ago and had the fluids done all was normal no particles in oil or tranny fluid. It had some issues that normal tune up parts and me learning how to adjust idle fixed and it needed a service on the tranny to tight the belts and adjust the linkage. I figured I pay to have it done as I never did it myself.

So the guy comes back into the waiting area and tells me he has his rebuild guy doing my truck & there is metal in the pan then goes on about how this means the torque converter is shot. I'm very leary and ask "how much?" he hesitated I guess thinking I meant money first then says "taking into consideration the size of the whole... yada yada yada 2ounces" I say Ok and we left it at that. I'm thinking I only put 3k miles on this thing since the tranny oil change and it had no change in how it ran over that time.
I paid, told him there was no debris in November, he said "there is now" and I drove away. I)t shifts better, the double clutching from first to second went away, in fact the shift is seemless and almost undetectable now, it hesitated then jumped a couple of times when starting off from a stop but other wise is running better and acceleration responds better.

OK here's the trick part: I'm driving home and it hits me that the service guy had lifted my truck in a very weird way. He lifted the back end at least 3 feet above the front and took the whole thing up then let it sit like that for a few minutes before lifting the front end to level it. I'm guessing this causes all the accumulated specs of normal metal that wouldn't really affect anything if left where they were, to flow down to the pan thus get sucked up in running. I forgot to ask if he cleaned it out assuming he would have.
I have never heard or seen lifting a vehicle this way. Hell I don't think I have ever seen a lift that didn't lift the whole car level before. It had two separate lift columns. Oh yea it was an AAMCO.

Thanks in advance folks.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:27 PM
kahanabob
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would not trust aamco...if it works fine i would not worry about it..always going to be some fine metal in the pan, if a nugget than thats a different story. also they should show you the debris in the pan. should have done a full flush then add some lucas tranny additive.....

Old 04-16-2014, 07:44 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

Thanks
Yea I get that impression, Now.
They already did the service as it wasn't working well, it needed adjustment. They did not show me the materiel and the receipt does not say flush on it.

Let ma add a question

Is it normal practice to flush once they find materiel like they said they did?

Last edited by onemore94dak; 04-16-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:18 PM
kahanabob
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if the tranny seems to work fine then yes. i am sure if there would have been anything other than normal fine metal material they would have showed it to you.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:29 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually talking with a local transmission guy here hes been here forever and is well respected in my city for honest work, anyway when i had my overdrive and lockup issues he checked my oil and right off the bat, said *looks like a little soot in the oil from the torque converter clutches", prolly due to the irratic operation so when i got it all working i brought it back to him he did oil/filter and checked the bands, everything checked out perfect althought there was shavings it wasnt abnormal to see

Old 04-17-2014, 03:29 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

I'm ambiguous and wonder if they may have half assed it or not tightened the cables as I was told they would.
I just did some errands in it. It drives better in some ways and in some ways I don't like it. Randomly it hesitates and jumps from a start. Also randomly it shifts up to 3rd too fast (by20mph) and it lugs and I am left lugging, when I hit the gas which was a major problem when I started looking into this.
The better part is that it occasionally runs exactly as it should and the gas makes the motor/wheels respond immediately when I call on them to. I'm happy about that as I had started doubting my judgment that it would be a good vehicle. Now it is a matter of sorting out what may be wrong.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:05 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran

if its shifting into 3rd to soon sounds like the TV cable is out of adjustment, mine was going from 1st to second and dang near instantly to 3rd when my cable snapped..

Old 04-17-2014, 06:04 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

Thanks 92, I've looked at the book (same as the faq on here) and still I am not sure how to do that or I would have done it instead of letting these tranny guys "service" it. That was the main reason I paid em $109 bucks they told me they would adjust the cables.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 04-17-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:53 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran

actually its easy to do open hood .... cable on side of throtlebody... etc... takes about 30 seconds lol

Old 04-18-2014, 10:09 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 92DakotaClub
actually its easy to do open hood .... cable on side of throtlebody... etc... takes about 30 seconds lol
HA!
I was thinking about the lower end at the tranny.
I know how to do that cable which BTW is NOT like it is described in the book. The end pulls off toward the front of the truck not to the side as is implied and seems logical which makes the "simple" adjustment a lot more complicated since mm can make a difference here.

Quick Reply: Just got Tranny serviced..How normal is this?