1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Heavy Duty Wheels?

Old 07-12-2014, 11:45 PM
wjohn
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heavy Duty Wheels?

First post here... wasn't able to find this information anywhere else. Does anyone have a picture of the heavy duty wheels for the first gen Dakotas? I recently purchased a '90 with the 2000 pound payload package, but a previous owner has swapped cheap rims on it. I don't like how much they stick out and one of them is horribly damaged from smashing into a curb or something.

The part number for the wheels I'm inquiring about is 4284 322 per the '90-'93 Dodge Trucks Parts Catalog (thanks for making those available, by the way). I'd like to head to a junkyard next weekend and see if I can find a full set, but I'm not sure how to visually identify them other than find a truck with the right GVWR and hope the wheels are original. The parts catalog just points to the same picture as is used for the base steel wheels, but calls out a different part number. Maybe they look pretty similar but the HD wheels are slightly thicker? The spare is one of the Dakota 5-spoke "styled" steel wheels. Who knows where that came from.

If anyone has the HD suspension package on their truck and the original wheels, I'd love to see a photo.

Here's a bit more about the truck - it's 4WD with the 3.9L and NV2500 manual transmission. Along with the HD suspension it has the 22 gallon fuel tank and an 8' bed. It has just over 300K on it and the engine has been rebuilt twice to my knowledge (or maybe had a remanufactured engine installed the first go-around). It's originally a Colorado truck so it has the high altitude package, which as best I can tell appears to just be emissions-related. I bought a '90 2WD V6 auto with only 85K on it a year ago, but it has a bad front trans seal leak and I really can't stand automatic transmissions anyway. It's a farm truck at the moment. Anyway, I was a stickler for the 8' bed, V6, and manual transmission this time around - I didn't really want 4WD, but I'll deal with it especially since this one has the 2000 pound payload package.

I'm in the process of replacing the pitman arm as the ball joint is shot. It'll get new brakes all around, valve cover gaskets, vacuum lines, fuel hose, CV axles, and eventually I'll replace all of the bushings in the front suspension. They're pretty rough, too. I've been reading up modifying the necessary later-model 4WD LCA bushings since these unfortunately are no longer available.

Sorry for the long post - I have to write something for my introduction, right? Seriously though... I'd love to be able to ID the HD wheels. Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails Heavy Duty Wheels?-dakota.jpg  
Old 07-18-2014, 11:30 PM
wjohn
Amateur

Bump? Anybody have an inkling of an idea about the heavy duty wheels?

Old 07-19-2014, 12:52 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Actually, no.

Why do you need heavy duty wheels? Planning on hauling crushed rock much?

Your truck, I see, has 5 lug wheels, I'd just look for some plain 5 lug steel wheels and invest in some hub caps. Steel is better for off road than cast alloy wheels, imho. They bend, but generally don't break.

Just an aside, my 96, V8, auto, 4wd has 6 bolt alloy wheels. It has the factory installed tow package--heavier duty brakes mostly, I think. For highway use, I prefer alloys, which in my experience track straighter than steel wheels.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:06 AM
wjohn
Amateur

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson
Actually, no.

Why do you need heavy duty wheels? Planning on hauling crushed rock much?

Your truck, I see, has 5 lug wheels, I'd just look for some plain 5 lug steel wheels and invest in some hub caps. Steel is better for off road than cast alloy wheels, imho. They bend, but generally don't break.

Just an aside, my 96, V8, auto, 4wd has 6 bolt alloy wheels. It has the factory installed tow package--heavier duty brakes mostly, I think. For highway use, I prefer alloys, which in my experience track straighter than steel wheels.
No crushed rock at the moment - but I will be hauling 2000 pounds of tractor parts and implements in it multiple times, and very close to that weight in hay. It is a truck, after all. I have a Civic to drive when I don't need the bed space.

I guess I'm figuring that Dodge found that the base level steel wheels were too weak for the heavier loads. I doubt they would've gone to the trouble of making a different set of wheels for the 2000 pound payload package if they could've just used the base wheels. Although, maybe that decision was based on the assumption of always have 2000 pounds in the bed, like a camper or utility box. Maybe I'll be okay if it's only loaded up that much 1/4 of the time that I use it.

If everything else on the truck is up to handling the higher payload rating I don't want to find that the wheels are the limiting factor. I did check the salvage yards here yesterday and none of them even have any of the base steel wheels at the moment. I found a nice set of the 5-lug 5-spoke aluminum wheels, but I definitely don't want to use those in this situation.

I realize that this wasn't a terribly common option and most people probably aren't familiar with it, but I thought I'd at least try asking here. Thanks for the response, Brian.

John

Old 07-20-2014, 10:42 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by wjohn
I found a nice set of the 5-lug 5-spoke aluminum wheels,
Wish I knew where you were - I'd like a set of those for my truck (I won't EVER be hauling 2,000 pounds, but would like a bit better look!) and have four of the heavy duty wheels on my truck now.

RwP

Old 07-20-2014, 03:34 PM
wjohn
Amateur

Originally Posted by RalphP
Wish I knew where you were - I'd like a set of those for my truck (I won't EVER be hauling 2,000 pounds, but would like a bit better look!) and have four of the heavy duty wheels on my truck now.

RwP
I'm in central Kansas. I ought to add that to my profile, eh? Google says Shreveport's an 8 hour drive, for a rough reference. You don't ever head any closer in this direction by chance, do you? I'm thinking about doing some traveling later this summer, but over toward Colorado and Arizona so that doesn't help. I think shipping's probably out of the question for me due to the added cost.

That yard said they charge $35 a piece for the stock steels... I'm scared to ask what they want for the aluminums, but maybe they'd take an offer on all 4 especially if I pulled them. I do plan on going back there next weekend or the following. I can check again when I pull the parking brake cable tensioner that I need.

Do the HD wheels look very similar to the standard steels?

Old 07-20-2014, 04:13 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

They LOOK the same as standard steel wheels. I'm presuming that I have HD whieels for that matter - it's what came on the truck with the max weight package for 1988.

The stock size was a 215/75LT15 - I'm running 215/75R15s now since I do mostly road travelling in the truck.

RwP

Old 07-21-2014, 08:55 PM
wjohn
Amateur

Originally Posted by RalphP
They LOOK the same as standard steel wheels. I'm presuming that I have HD whieels for that matter - it's what came on the truck with the max weight package for 1988.

The stock size was a 215/75LT15 - I'm running 215/75R15s now since I do mostly road travelling in the truck.

RwP
Interesting. My '90 came stock with 235s and that's what it has right now. Is yours 2WD?

Your comment got me thinking... maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here.

I guess I was assuming that the HD wheels came with the HD suspension package... but I guess I don't really know that for certain. My build sheet does not call out a wheel option, so I figured it was part of the HD suspension group. I could be quite wrong. Wish I had access to the load ratings for each of the wheel types!

Here's the build sheet from this truck, my '90 4WD:

Vehicle Description DODGE DAKOTA 4X4 PICKUP
Model Year 1990
Body Model AN 5 L 62
Color PE4
ISD 12/08/1989
*A2 Vinyl Bench Seat w/Integral H'rest
ADAA Light Group
ADPP Heavy Duty Suspension Group
AKA Chile Equipment Group
APAS Monotone Paint
BARP 90 Amp Alternator
BCDS 500 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
BGKS 4-Wheel Anti-Lock Brakes
BKPP 10x2.5 Rear Drum Brakes
CBAP Straight Back Bench Seat
CDEP Hinged Back Seat
CKJS Black Vinyl Floor Covering
DBBC All Manual Transmissions
DMD 3.55 Rear Axle Ratio
DRAS Corporate 8.25 Rear Axle
GACS Tinted Glass Windows
GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass
GCBS Front Door Tinted Glass
GNGP Rear View Mirror w/Reading Lamps
GRUP Left Manual Mirror
GSUP Right Manual Mirror
GTUS 5 X 7 Mirrors
GVAC All Vehicles W/O Power Mirrors
HAA Air Conditioning
JAZS Analog Instrument Cluster
JCAS 85 MPH Primary Speedometer
JHAA Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
JJAS Cigar Lighter
JKAS Locking Glove Box
LAAP Ignition Time Delay Lamp
LAFS Key in Ign/Seat Belt Warning Buzzer
LAJS Headlamps On Warning Chimes
LAPS Shift Indicator Warning Lamp
LBBP Courtesy Lamps
LBCP Glove Box Lamp
LBDP Ash Tray Lamp
LDAP Underhood Lamp
LMAS Halogen Headlamps
MBAS Body Color/Black Front Fascia
MBDA Body Color/Black Rear Bumper
MFCS Dark Silver Metallic Grille
MHAS Black Windshield Moldings
NAF High Altitude Emissions
NBKS EVAP Control System
NFB 22 Gallon Fuel Tank
NMC Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles
RALS AM/FM Radio
RCBP 2 Speakers
SBAS Power Rack and Pinion Steering
SCBS Perforated Steering Whl w/Red Stitch
SFBP Front Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers
SGBP Rear Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers
SHAS Front Stabilizer Bar
TBBS Full Size Spare Tire
TBMS Tire Carrier Winch
TSC P235/75R15 BSW All Season Tires
TZAP Goodyear Brand Tires
WMAS Black Hub Caps
XBS Pickup Box
YAAS Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications

Old 07-21-2014, 09:02 PM
wjohn
Amateur

And here's the build sheet from my '90 2WD that's currently a farm truck (I sure don't miss the auto trans or the 15 gallon tank). It's kind of an odd truck, with chrome mirrors, power steering, V6 and automatic, but still at the base level trim. Note that it calls out the 15x6 argent wheels - 4th line from the bottom. This is what had me thinking that the HD wheels would be within the HD suspension package, but I'm not positive.

Vehicle Description: 1990 DODGE DAKOTA PICKUP

*A2 Vinyl Bench Seat w/Integral H'rest
APAS Monotone Paint
BAPS 75 Amp Alternator
BCDS 500 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
BGKS 4-Wheel Anti-Lock Brakes
BKES 9x2.5 HD Rear Drum Brakes
CBAP Straight Back Bench Seat
CDEP Hinged Back Seat
CKJS Black Vinyl Floor Covering
DGB All 4-Speed Automatic Transmissions
DGNS 4-Speed Automatic Transmission
DHAS Lock-Up Torque Converter
DMDS 3.55 Rear Axle Ratio
GACS Tinted Glass Windows
GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass
GCBS Front Door Tinted Glass
GNAS Rear View Day/Night Mirror
GRAP Entire Fleet Alike Key (FREQ 5)
GSAP Right Chrome Mirror
GTH Power Mirrors
GVAC All Vehicles W/O Power Mirrors
HCDS Heater w/Instrument Pnl Ventilation
JAZS Analog Instrument Cluster
JCAS 85 MPH Primary Speedometer
JJAS Cigar Lighter
JKAS Locking Glove Box
LAFS Key in Ign/Seat Belt Warning Buzzer
LAJS Headlamps On Warning Chimes
LMAS Halogen Headlamps
MBAS Body Color/Black Front Fascia
MBD Body Color/Black Rear Bumper
MFCS Dark Silver Metallic Grille
MHAS Black Windshield Moldings
NAAS Federal Emissions
NBKS EVAP Control System
NFSS 15 Gallon Fuel Tank
RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles
RALS AM/FM Radio
RCBP 2 Speakers
SBA Power Rack and Pinion Steering
SCBS 2-Spoke Steering Wheel
SFAS Standard Duty Shock Absorbers
SGAS Rear Shock Absorbers
TBBS Full Size Spare Tire
TBMS Tire Carrier Winch
TPF P205/75R15 BSW All Season Tires
TZAP Goodyear Brand Tires
WCGS 15X6.0 Argent Wheels
WMAS Black Hub Caps
XBS Pickup Box
YAAS Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications

Old 07-21-2014, 10:52 PM
wjohn
Amateur

After some more digging, the only package I can find that mentions the HD wheels is the 2550 lb. payload package on the 2WD Dakotas. My info on the 2000 lb. payload package for the 4WD models isn't quite complete, so I don't know if it came with the HD wheels or not. Same for the 1800 lb. package on the 2WD.

My build sheet for the 4WD calls out the same black hub caps as were on the 2WD with the base steel wheels. I guess that narrows the wheel choice down to either the base or HD steels, which doesn't really help.

I guess if I'm really lucky the HD wheels were only needed with the 2550 package. I hate to just throw a set of wheels on there without knowing what they're rated for, but I need to do something. With one trashed rim, this weird offset, and marginal tires I need to get rid of the current wheels anyway. Maybe I can make do with a set of aluminum wheels for a few months - taking it easy and keeping an eye out for a set of better steels that I can then swap the new tires onto.

Yes, I'm guilty of thinking out loud here...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heavy Duty Wheels?