1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

drive train swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 02:42 PM
scottyspades
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drive train swap

I am getting a 95 Dakota extended cab 5.2 magnum auto 4x4 with a bad frame as a parts truck. I plan on swapping the drive train into my 91 Dakota sport 5.2 LA auto 4x4 standard cab short bed. The parts druck runs and drives, and is complete. Besides motor trans etc what else would I need to swap over I.e. computers, woring harness, gauge cluster etc? Its prolly listed somewhere else in the forum but there's just so dang much to sort through lol

Old 08-23-2014, 10:34 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Go to Ebay and pick up both the 1991 and the 1995 service manuals (they have them on CD/DVD for some years, just in paper for others). Or buy them at RockAuto or at http://www.autobooksbishko.com/ .

That's the best advice I can give you.

Past that, I'd look at yes, replacing ALL the wiring.

The 1991 is TBI, the 1995 is SFI. That alone will cause some radical differences in the underhood wiring diagram.

Now, if the 1995 has a speedometer drive cable, you may be somewhat lucky and can avoid replacing all the transmission wiring harnesses, but I'd bet those need to be swapped also.

Since it may be easier to do a cab-off on the two vehicles, may not be a bad idea to clean / prep / coat the frame that you're keeping.

RwP

Quick Reply: drive train swap