1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Where can i find longer shocks?

Old 09-01-2014, 09:54 AM
OMGnanerpus
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can i find longer shocks?

I lifted my truck 3 inches in the front and 2 in the back, and i cannot for the life of me find any shocks that are 2 inches longer with the same mounting setup.

I have a '93 V6 4x4 extended cab. I've been riding on the old shocks, and i feel them slam every time i hit a bump. IU've been looking for hours, but nobody seems to have 2 inch lift shocks for my truck. Rancho had a 1 inch lift, but i'd hate to waste money if they still aren't long enough.

Anybody able to tell me where they got theirs? I only need the rear. I have near to 0 travel in the front. haha

Old 09-01-2014, 07:02 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

How is your truck lifted? Most lifted options only adjust stock suspension. This means the suspension is still limiting the travel more than the shocks are.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:01 PM
OMGnanerpus
Rookie

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
How is your truck lifted? Most lifted options only adjust stock suspension. This means the suspension is still limiting the travel more than the shocks are.
I have blocks in the rear. I hear them slam when i hit big bumps. Don't want to end up busting a seal or something and being stuck somewhere

Old 09-02-2014, 11:32 AM
92DakotaClub
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shocks only slow up and down movement, by no means are they actually holding anything from falling off, ive driven with no shocks and broken in half shocks, no shocks are like when shocks are worn out.. bouncy bouncy... broken is same but I just tied em out of the way until I got home never left stranded ...

this is were u get something with similar mount ontop for the ffront and just press out the bottom mounting tab and replace with yours for the front.. the rear is similar but I used shocks from a jeep for my Dakota's rear and just pressed out the pins in the top and bottom bushing front I believe were from a chevy I cant remember I just searched wreckers till I found the front ones..lol , you can also make a extension bracket to lift shocks higher or remake the top of your current front to make it longer mounting... when modifying old trucks gotta get creative... I know I did lol

Last edited by 92DakotaClub; 09-02-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:57 PM
OMGnanerpus
Rookie

Originally Posted by 92DakotaClub
shocks only slow up and down movement, by no means are they actually holding anything from falling off, ive driven with no shocks and broken in half shocks, no shocks are like when shocks are worn out.. bouncy bouncy... broken is same but I just tied em out of the way until I got home never left stranded ...

this is were u get something with similar mount ontop for the ffront and just press out the bottom mounting tab and replace with yours for the front.. the rear is similar but I used shocks from a jeep for my Dakota's rear and just pressed out the pins in the top and bottom bushing front I believe were from a chevy I cant remember I just searched wreckers till I found the front ones..lol , you can also make a extension bracket to lift shocks higher or remake the top of your current front to make it longer mounting... when modifying old trucks gotta get creative... I know I did lol
I was thinking about just getting some spacers to put between the shock and the mount, but that would be sketchy as hell. lol. I'll see what i can make up to relocate the mounts slightly. I was hoping someone would have a magic answer so i could just buy shocks that are 2" longer, but this will work xD

Old 09-02-2014, 03:51 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually for the trailmaster 4 inch lift that was once made.. all it had was spacers that went on lower front shocks and rear lower bracket that lifted them up.. you can get some and make a bracket its not hard another option would be square tubing cut say 3 inches higher wide enough to fit over original spot, and to fit shock inside it with bolt.. many ways to do it, if you weld, relocate it higher.... list goes on.

im dealing with a misaligned rearend on my jeep right now and cant figure it out neither can dealer know what that means.... HAMMER TIME!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where can i find longer shocks?