1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Leaning out high RPM issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 03:18 AM
MoparDakota318
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaning out high RPM issue

I've got a 93, Dakota that recently had another engine put in it. While replacing the engine i came across an issue this engine came out of a 96 model Ram which had no EGR as to where my 93 did. So i put a bolt in where the EGR set and left the bits unattached, not sure if this may be the issue? the truck sat 1year 5months prior to the engine being replaced. I've been told that it may be the O2 sensor or, possibly the Fuel pressure regulator. the issue being that, I hit 4300rpms it begins to stutter really bad losing almost all the power at top end like its starving for fuel like its misfiring? if anyone knows what this may be please let me know, I 'd really like to get her running properly.

Name:  042.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  111.7 KB

Name:  6355b170.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  205.3 KB

Old 09-26-2014, 11:49 PM
AZ 360 Dakota
Veteran

EGR is only going to affect emissions (NOX to be precise). How do you know it's it's going lean? Do you have any engine/PCM data to confirm that? What injectors did you use in your engine swap, the 93's or the 96's? Too many variables to make a diagnosis over the internet.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:42 PM
MoparDakota318

I believe its got the 93injectors. it also is utilizing the Mopar performance computer for the 93, model but it says that the computer is fine until the gen2 body came out. they won't cross over after 97. I'm going to get a fuel pressure gauge and see what happens at top end.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:47 PM
DukeDomB
Rookie

Originally Posted by MoparDakota318
I believe its got the 93injectors. it also is utilizing the Mopar performance computer for the 93, model but it says that the computer is fine until the gen2 body came out. they won't cross over after 97. I'm going to get a fuel pressure gauge and see what happens at top end.
Silly question but are you using premium gas? Those MP computers need high octane.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:53 AM
MoparDakota318

Yeah I always use 93+ and, when i can 108. I'd rather not have it detonate on me. It's a terrible noise when it hits 4800rpm and loses power. I can tell this engine makes more power than the original. Launches twice as hard with this motor but. its just the top end. Low rpm pulls, it's got it but, right in the 4k area I can feel it begin to back off almost as if the power band isnt where its supposed to be, (metaphorically speaking). Then its studders and loses all power, I lost to a Chevy Tahoe tonight for god sake!! I just want my little sleeper Dakota back to her original state!

Old 10-01-2014, 01:49 PM
DukeDomB
Rookie

Originally Posted by MoparDakota318
Yeah I always use 93+ and, when i can 108. I'd rather not have it detonate on me. It's a terrible noise when it hits 4800rpm and loses power. I can tell this engine makes more power than the original. Launches twice as hard with this motor but. its just the top end. Low rpm pulls, it's got it but, right in the 4k area I can feel it begin to back off almost as if the power band isnt where its supposed to be, (metaphorically speaking). Then its studders and loses all power, I lost to a Chevy Tahoe tonight for god sake!! I just want my little sleeper Dakota back to her original state!
What kind of compression is in that engine? You probably don't need 108, it's a waste of money if you can just use the 93.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:53 PM
DukeDomB
Rookie

Anyway, what happens when you try and rev up to 4300 in neutral? Does this occur only under load?

Old 10-02-2014, 06:45 AM
MoparDakota318

This one makes a good 9:1 on all cylinders. I run the expensive stuff because fuel truck drivers don't always hook up the premium hose to the premium holding tank ". Ive gotten some poor grade fuel from a Chevron station. Pump was on 93 but the fuel grade I had got was 84....ive made a little rig from an old lawn mower fuel tank and only fill that with 108 so if i do get low grade i can mix and come out a little on top it seems to be working. In any case I've yet to rev it in neutral to 4300 I'll try it a little later when it's not early in the morning, best not to disturb the neighbors.

Quick Reply: Leaning out high RPM issue