1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

OCD Project (Old Convertible Dakota)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 06:48 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Mine too, came with the 22.5 radiator, AC, and V6. I wonder if the 26.25 was for a tow package.
The link for the remote condenser was lsdak.com. But I hope to keep the condenser up front.
If I cant fit the intrepid fans between the radiator and condenser, I may try 2 spal 11in. fans. These fans seem to be what the shelby people use for a replacement when the orig. dies.
I have found some pretty good pictures of the fan mount the shelby use, and I believe I could make something similar......
The advantages with the spal are, 1. they are Thin, 2&1/16 in. 2. I have read that they move more air then the orig. shelby fans do.
But, on the other hand, they are rated at 808 cfm. I wonder if that is enough for a V8. Especially one making more then 175 hp. I have read that generally a v8 should have at least a 2400 cfm fan. This would be 1600 cfm.
I dont know anyone with a shelby to ask if overheating is a problem with the factory fans.
And then again, maybe I am overthinking this whole thing!!

Here is a link to the fan. http://www.jegs.com/i/SPAL/063/30100365/10002/-1
Here is a link that shows using the spal fans in a shelby http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...placement-Fans

Old 08-26-2016, 07:43 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

I bought a 26.25 for my 1988; it was part of the "Extreme Cooling" tow package, yep.

Takes a different fan shroud, which will be the major problem if using a clutch fan.

Seeing how it's kept my mostly stock 1988 cool during 96+F days in stop and go traffic, I'll bet a pair of the Spal fans will keep yours cool enough.

I also have the biggest cooler from Hayden I could fit in there for my transmission cooler; that can't hurt any.

RwP

Old 08-26-2016, 03:42 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

[QUOTE=RalphP;3308568]

Seeing how it's kept my mostly stock 1988 cool during 96+F days in stop and go traffic, I'll bet a pair of the Spal fans will keep yours cool enough.

Actually I am setting it up for a 5.9 magnum making 250-300 hp depending on possible engine mods. I really want to keep the 87 nose on the the truck and I want to keep AC. Not sure anyone has done this, but I plan to try.

[B]I also have the biggest cooler from Hayden I could fit in there for my transmission cooler; that can't hurt any.

Mine will be a nv3500 5 speed, so no cooler to worry about.

Old 08-26-2016, 04:19 PM
Lirra
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a pair of Spal's 11" pusher fans (IX-30100365) on my V8 converted 1st generation running 330BHP. No issues with coolant temperatures so far (using the narrow radiator).

Old 08-26-2016, 05:36 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you followed my threads you know the fun I've had fitting a radiator within a pre 91 nose. If you go with a magnum style timing cover and water pump you'll have about an inch of clearance to the radiator. If you have a carbed magnum using a mech fuel pump with an LA water pump forget it. As for space for a fan and condenser I'll say good luck. I'm going sans ac so not worried about it but when I was looking at recessing the radiator I had 3 7/8" clearance between radiator and grill. That was barely enough to get a fan in there much less a condensor. Flex lite makes a thin fan....2" deep but it's $$$. But that might give you enough room. In the end all these issues forced me into a front end change.

Old 08-27-2016, 06:41 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Lirra
I use a pair of Spal's 11" pusher fans (IX-30100365) on my V8 converted 1st generation running 330BHP. No issues with coolant temperatures so far (using the narrow radiator).

Lirra, have you put the AC back on your dakota? If so, have you driven it in hot weather? ie: 90+ degrees F. Stop and go traffic seem ok?

Old 08-27-2016, 07:13 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by robertmee
If you followed my threads you know the fun I've had fitting a radiator within a pre 91 nose. If you go with a magnum style timing cover and water pump you'll have about an inch of clearance to the radiator. If you have a carbed magnum using a mech fuel pump with an LA water pump forget it. As for space for a fan and condenser I'll say good luck. I'm going sans ac so not worried about it but when I was looking at recessing the radiator I had 3 7/8" clearance between radiator and grill. That was barely enough to get a fan in there much less a condensor. Flex lite makes a thin fan....2" deep but it's $$$. But that might give you enough room. In the end all these issues forced me into a front end change.

Robert,
Believe me, I have been following your threads!! Below are what I believe to be true.
1. A magnum V8 (5.2 or 5.9) will fit in a 87-90 dakota, using the orig. motor mounts, and fit behind the orig. radiator, provided the magnum accessories are used. 89 ragged as shown us that.
2. Shelby Sandwiched 2 electric fans between the radiator and condenser. Here are a few pictures of them.
Name:  IMG_1781_zpshbfmnkv8.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  186.8 KB
Name:  IMG_1780_zpsm68idxvv.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  222.0 KB
Name:  IMG_1779_zpsddkzzcis.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  254.6 KB

3. Spal makes a pusher fan, the two that Lirra used. It seems that works as a replacement fan for the shelby dakota fan. Actually, in the above pictures, that is the very fan being used for replacements on the shelby above.

I plan to put a 5.9 magnum with a carb in my dakota. I have already put a carter external electric fuel pump on it. I want to add electric fans and get that sorted out before the V8 conversion.
I purchased the intrepid fan assembly, and I hope to be able to fit it between the radiator and condenser, but I think it is too thick, and possibly slightly too wide to fit in the core support.
If that be the case, then I plan to mount 2 of the spal fans in the core support, very much like lirra, or shelby have done. The difference I hope to be able to do is,
1. mount them side by side like shelby did, and use the bigger 26 in radiator.
2. I want to fabricate a mount that will attach the fans to the core support, and not the radiator. I believe this would make it easier to drop the V8 engine into the engine bay.................

At this time, my main concern is, will these fans be able to cool a 250-300 hp V8 in 90+ weather?

Old 08-27-2016, 08:26 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you've done your homework...only assumption that I would be careful of is using the shelby as a reference. What I found with my build is that the shelby had some unique one offs to make everything fit. One of those was dodge shifted the whole engine back towards the firewall to fit everything. They may have moved the radiator forward too in order to fit electric fans. That's the unknown.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:17 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by robertmee
They may have moved the radiator forward too in order to fit electric fans. That's the unknown.

I hope not, and I would be surprised if they did move it. Especially forward, considering the fans are in front of the radiator.
Again, I really hope I can fit the intrepid fan in there, since I already purchased it, but if not I will try the spal's

Old 09-01-2016, 12:10 AM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VA inspection sticker , 45 minutes in the bay gettin' the third degree from the inspector, but it's legal now!

Of course they wanted to know if I made it into a convertible myself. Had to give them the history lesson.

Last edited by ragged89; 09-01-2016 at 12:21 AM.

Quick Reply: OCD Project (Old Convertible Dakota)