1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

OCD Project (Old Convertible Dakota)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 02:13 AM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, think I finally got the pictures for this thread re-linked.

Now, on to my latest challenge. Dakota convertibles don't have much of a headliner (obviously, right?), but there is a narrow strip of headliner wrapped around a press-board panel, mounted at the top of the windshield frame. Mine was coming apart, probably due to moisture infiltration. To remedy this, I'm useing the old one, or what was left of it, to trace out a pattern for a new panel. The material I'm using for the new panel is .25" PVC sheet:

The PVC sheet will resist water and, it's fairly easy to shape it with heat. The original panel had the ends pre-formed into an arch that conformed to the windshield pillar trim. In order for my panel to look original, I copied the shape of the original. I did this using a heat gun, a wood clamp to hold the PVC panel, and an empty paint can to form the arch. The PVC is fairly easy to work, just heat a small area 'til its soft enough to bend, then hold it to shape until its cool:

Last edited by ragged89; 12-08-2016 at 02:17 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:15 AM
RobertMc
Professional

Nice ! I have the same problem. I planned/plan on using/modifying the headliner from an outback wagon I had left over from another project.

Using that PVC sheet looks like a great idea.
Is .25" thicker than the original fiber material ?
The original has that metal reinforcing on one edge. Will the PVC be stiff enough to avoid reusing it ?

Old 12-08-2016, 12:37 PM
ragged89
All Star

Originally Posted by RobertMc
Nice ! I have the same problem. I planned/plan on using/modifying the headliner from an outback wagon I had left over from another project.

Using that PVC sheet looks like a great idea.
Is .25" thicker than the original fiber material ?
The original has that metal reinforcing on one edge. Will the PVC be stiff enough to avoid reusing it ?
I think the original panel was a little less than .25", but the new one fits well. I didn't mention it in the previous post, but I also put a slight upward bend on the rear edge so that it tucks in above the metal lip of the convertible top attachment rail. That will hold the rear up, and I am re-using the metal stiffener from the old panel to keep the front edge from sagging.

I still have to figure out the best way to attach the headliner material (think I'm going to use black vinyl) to the PVC. It can be tricky to get an adhesive to stick to PVC, especially where it will be exposed to varying temperatures. The metal stiffener may help hold the material in the front, if I rivet it in place. A tight tuck on the rear edge should help there.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:07 PM
RobertMc
Professional

Originally Posted by ragged89
I still have to figure out the best way to attach the headliner material (think I'm going to use black vinyl) to the PVC. It can be tricky to get an adhesive to stick to PVC, especially where it will be exposed to varying temperatures. The metal stiffener may help hold the material in the front, if I rivet it in place. A tight tuck on the rear edge should help there.
It would be interesting to see if 3M automotive spray adhesive would work with the PVC. It may work if the surface was sanded so give it a surface to "bite" into.

Edit: This is the stuff I've used, but not sure if it works for PVC. For some reason 3M doesn't have that info online.

Fabric & Headliner Adhesive:
http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-u...2639006&rt=rud

They also make:

Multipurpose 27 Spray (Clear, and specifically mentions PVC and Fabric)
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...3194275&rt=rud

Super 77 Spray adhesive (not sure if it works with {PVC, nor is really clear. I have used to for insulation in hidden areas in cars.)
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...jstabDocuments

I'd give their tech support line a call. Their staff know their products well, and have been great to deal with, any time I've called them.

Last edited by RobertMc; 12-08-2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:59 PM
ragged89
All Star

I've used the 3M fabric and headliner adhesive before with pretty good success. It seems to hold its grip better with a porous or rough surface.

The 3M 27 multi-purpose looks promising for this application, think I'll look into that one. Thanks much for the links.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:58 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ragged...nice posting on the headliner piece. Out of curiosity is it the same piece advertised on this site....Item F, top pads:

https://www.convertibletopguys.com/c...-Dakota-Pickup

Old 05-03-2017, 01:04 AM
ragged89
All Star

Originally Posted by robertmee
Ragged...nice posting on the headliner piece. Out of curiosity is it the same piece advertised on this site....Item F, top pads:

https://www.convertibletopguys.com/c...-Dakota-Pickup
Robertmee, I was away from the forum at the time you posted your question. My brother was in the hospital, and eventually passed away, which took me away from everything else for a while. I'm back now though, so to answer your question (very belatedly) the top pads mentioned on the website are different. They go between the convertible top frame and the top itself, whereas the piece I re-created is at the top of the windshield, above the rear-view mirror.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:16 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for your loss

Quick Reply: OCD Project (Old Convertible Dakota)