1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

caused motor to run better by accident

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 06:08 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts
Default caused motor to run better by accident

So I've been making this thing run better for 13 months now. I'm at a point I need to get the tranny rebuilt I'm waiting til I can get my other rig running.

Anyway I'm screwing around under the hood, lubing the belt wheels and taping up the frayed tape making sure all is tight then the next time I drive its almost as if it had been tuned up.[EDIT I should say the improvement is that it responds more quickly to peddle input than it used to as the valve issue obviously means it isn't running great.] I had taped the wiring harness from by the EGR through the passenger side firewall corner up to the computer.

I'm figuring that I made the wires connect better but IDK if its a short or a prob with the computer?????
Does the harness go bad in this area?
It's also revealed a bad valve tick that is sucking away power and gas when I accelerate on hills and at 55>mph. I may be wrong there I'm a fix it when it goes bad mechanic not fully knowledgeable on all ways motors behave.
Should I wait for the tranny rebuild to be done of try to solve the problem first? No codes.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 10-17-2014 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:05 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

I decided to remove the harness connection to the PCM. Sand fell out of the back of it. I cleaned the connections and WD'd it. I tightened it back up and now the rig runs even better. I suppose part of my problem may have been this connection. I will update once I have the tranny rebuilt.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 10-21-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:28 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

WD40 is not what you should use there for longevity.

Buy a tube of dielectric grease ("bulb grease" or tuneup grease) and put that into the connector. Otherwise the contacts will oxidize a LOT sooner.

RwP

Old 10-27-2014, 10:15 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RalphP
WD40 is not what you should use there for longevity.

Buy a tube of dielectric grease ("bulb grease" or tuneup grease) and put that into the connector. Otherwise the contacts will oxidize a LOT sooner.

RwP
Thanks

Since I did this and did a motor flush & change of the oil I put in after the timing chain and intake plenum, I now have a pronounced tappet or lifter noise most of the time. It occasionally goes away. ????? Any ideas????

Last edited by onemore94dak; 10-27-2014 at 10:19 PM.

Quick Reply: caused motor to run better by accident