1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Dies / Cuts out while driving

Old 10-20-2014, 01:46 PM
HarmonyHollowBees
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dies / Cuts out while driving

Hello all,

I have a 1991 Dakota v8 (2wd) - that recently has become unreliable...

Last week, it died on me - while driving at low speed (in a school parking lot). It felt like it had lost fuel supply. The engine cranks just fine - but did not start afterwards. I had let it sit for about 30 minutes (with the hood up), and it did finally start again - and I high-tailed it back to the house while I had it running.

This week - I pretty much let the truck sit... I replaced the thermostat/gasket as well as the idler pulley yesterday, and it seemed to be running smoothly afterwards.

Then - today - it happened to me again. This time, I was at about 35-40 mph after pulling out of a parking lot, and back onto a main road. I had enough momentum after dropping the shifter into neutral to coast into another parking lot along the road. When the engine died, I lost all boosts (power steering, power brakes) - obviously - since the engine was not running. This time - I sat for about 3 minutes, and it started back up again. As before, it felt again like there was a lack of fuel arriving at the engine - however - I cannot verify that as yet.

I've read several other threads about similar things happening to other folks' Dakotas right now... I'm hoping it's not the computer - as I just replaced it about 6 months ago - because the old one was not charging batteries correctly (voltage regulator on the computer).

I'll go through today and check coil resistance, and I'll cross my fingers that it's not the fuel pump (Easier to drop the tank, or to raise/remove the bed?)

Any other ideas of things to try, since this seems to be intermittent? The main common thing I have noticed, is that the engine is WELL warmed when it happens. When the engine is cool - no problems (so far).

Also - in both cases - my gas tank was right at about 1/3 full - no idea if that's significant or not - but just an observation.

Thanks,
Rex S.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:14 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

My first thought is. Is the fuel low? Duh just saw the part where you say 1/3 tank. Could be an issue if its extra large but my 22 gal doesn't get that issue until its down to the last 2 gallons and I'm pushing it hard otherwise it runs out at nothing with no sign until its dead. Then I get all kinds of ideaers but the right thing to do is check for codes first. Can you check for codes?
Then follow up on each code. They don't always mean that part is bad it may be some other related system is causing that code so make sure you chase down the diagnosis of the code problem before throwing money at it.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 10-21-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:00 AM
fordmanwithadodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having a similar problem with a ram1500, it's died while coming to a stop, while idling, and going down the road, and twice after I shut it off it wont start, two times I've heard a click from the engine compartment and then it will start, any ideas guys?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dies / Cuts out while driving