1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

squeaky belt is driving me nuts!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 05:36 PM
marcar1993
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default squeaky belt is driving me nuts!

So here's the deal. I bought this 93 v6 knowing it has a belt squeak, easy right? I've been on and off with it for a long time, lived with it for a while, and now I want it gone!
So far I've replaced an idler pulley, tensioner and tensioner pulley, and belt and then cleaned the pulleys. Did nothing.
Replaced a bad water pump, did nothing for the squeak.
Nothing wobbles, and it's not a bearing.
I put soap on the edges of the belt, nothing. When I put soap on the grooves it stopped. Everything spins free, nothing out of alignment (soap on the sides did nothing so that's not it), but soap on the grooves fixed it... so all that's left is the power steering pump, alternator, and crank pulley... obviously the soap is a temp fix, more for diagnosis then anythig. So what do you guys think? Where do I go from here? I'm not looking to just throw an alternator and power steering pump on it to find out that's not the issue.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:27 PM
kahanabob
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does it squeal just at start up for a few seconds or does it squeal continuously.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:07 AM
marcar1993
Captain

Its a continual chirping, 90% of the time when its running.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:44 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

well if you soaped it and it quit, that pretty much eliminates the bearings, etc.
If it was mine, I would make sure the grooves are clean and then try something like the goodyear gatorback belt. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...069&cc=1087545

Old 11-20-2014, 06:04 PM
marcar1993
Captain

I have cleaned out the grooves on the pulleys before.
I was looking up the cheapest place to buy that belt and stumbled upon this review.

"I was dealing with a "chirping" sound coming from the fan belt area of my vehicle (1999 Dodge Dakota V6 3.9L) for the last month or two. Thinking the tensioner was worn (130k miles on the truck) as there was a lot of movement in it when the truck was running, I replayed the tensioner, tensioner pulley, idler pulley and fan belt (a Dayco fan belt). Everything seemed OK for a few days and then.....the dreaded "chirp" returned one morning. I troubleshooted all the fan belt driven components and their pulleys, thinking something like a bearing or some inner piece was beginning to fail, and I could no pin-point anything. I even replaced the alternator brushes as I heard a slight chirping sound when rotating the rotor by hand, but it did not solve the problem. After spraying water on the belt as it entered the AC compressor pulley and hearing the noise die away immediately then return after a few seconds, I knew I had some sort of fan belt and/or pulley alignment issue. I ended up trying this Gatorback belt because of the numerous posts I had read online of people having similar chirping/squealing noises that they could not fix until they purchased a Gatorback belt. I was very skeptical it would solve the problem, seeing as how I had a brand new belt on their to begin with. I ordered the belt and put it on as soon as it arrived, started my truck up, and it was absolutely quiet. The belt has been on for a few days and I haven't heard anything. If that changes, I will come back and update the review, but so far, so good.

Conclusion: Great belt and GREAT price at $17. The cheapest belt at Autozone for my truck was $27 for some Valucraft junk, so this price seems very good. Solved my aggravating "chirping" noise problem that I had for months. Its only been a few days, but if this is a permanent solution I will be buying Gatorback belts for life!

Vehicle specs: 1999 Dodge Dakota Sport V6 3.9L (with AC)

EDIT: Turns out the belt did not solve the problem. It worked for a few days (no chirping noise) then the noise came back one morning again. The power steering pulley was out of alignment (it was pushed inwards on the shaft, towards the drivers compartment a bit too much). Went and rented a pulley removal/installer tool and pulled the power steering pull outwards until it was in better alignment with the alternator pulley and I haven't heard a sound for months. The belt is still nice quality and for the price you can't really beat it, but if your problem is alignment related then you really need to go to the source of the problem. Buying a new belt for an alignment issue is like using fan belt dressing, it will simply mask the real problem and is not a real fix."
This is exactly what I had when I put on my dayco belt. It was "fixed" for a few miles until it set in. I'm thinking I ruled out alignment as an issue with the soap on the sides not helping, and visually, nothing seems out of alignment.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:18 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Well, IMO, if its not the tensioner weak, (you replaced) a new (quality) belt does the same, alignment is good, then something is binding up when its running. A lot of times a bearing can feel ok when it turns with no pressure on it. But can be binding under a load or at a faster speed then you can turn by hand.
Not sure if you could use a stethoscope to try and pinpoint the source of the noise or not. Changing out parts gets expensive!!

Old 11-21-2014, 09:10 AM
marcar1993
Captain

I have done that using a long socket extension as a stethoscope. Both the alternator and power steering pump checked out. Only one idler sounded iffy, so I replaced both a while back.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:27 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me throw this out there too. My '03 Neon RT had a serpentine belt squeal that was like you describe, really annoying. This particular vehicle had an aluminum crank pulley that had become so "polished" from the belt being ever-so-slightly loose (weak tensioner) that I had to replace it. The pulley worked fine for two years, but it gradually developed a squeal. I tried various ways to rough it up, but nothing worked. I put a used steel pulley on it and the squeal stopped.

I know your pulleys are most likely not aluminum but I think it's possible a steel pulley could become "slicked" as well under the right conditions. Maybe take a close look and see if one of your pulleys has worn, very shiny grooves. I'd examine the crank pulley especially.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:21 PM
kahanabob
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ragged89
Let me throw this out there too. My '03 Neon RT had a serpentine belt squeal that was like you describe, really annoying. This particular vehicle had an aluminum crank pulley that had become so "polished" from the belt being ever-so-slightly loose (weak tensioner) that I had to replace it. The pulley worked fine for two years, but it gradually developed a squeal. I tried various ways to rough it up, but nothing worked. I put a used steel pulley on it and the squeal stopped.

I know your pulleys are most likely not aluminum but I think it's possible a steel pulley could become "slicked" as well under the right conditions. Maybe take a close look and see if one of your pulleys has worn, very shiny grooves. I'd examine the crank pulley especially.
agree, would also look at the alternator pulley.

Quick Reply: squeaky belt is driving me nuts!