1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

double din stereo

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 01:06 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Default double din stereo

Has anyone managed to install a double din stereo in place of the 1.5 din? Not sure if its even possible, or if it would take too much cutting and not look right. Otherwise, I guess the other option is to get a kit and go with a single din. stereo. BTW mine is a 87 and has the woodgrain finish. In time I plan to change that anyways.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:02 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

severe modification ...

the space indash isnt even there behind the wood grain panel, would require heavy cutting of the actual dash, i looked into this and it is possible as the room can be made but depth become an issue for some units, i found a shallow mount GPS unit that had no cd player , just hard drive(built in) , usb, ipod sd card etc.... and was less depth then stock unit , but i never went through with it , couldnt bare to cut up the dash and the front bezel to make it fit , it just come down to how much cutting you want to do .

Old 12-02-2014, 11:31 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Thanks for your reply. I kinda figured it was too small of a space. Need approximately 1" in height. Even splitting that 1/2 top and 1/2 bottom, it probably would look bad in there.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:14 PM
bctom
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a CD/tape player out of a '99 caravan. The only thing I had to change was the connectors they were different. Other than that it bolts right in my '92.

Just wish I could have found the equalizer in the van. It appeared to be wired for one but I couldn't find it.

Quick Reply: double din stereo