1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Tming Chain | How To Install It From Scratch??

Old 03-04-2015, 06:23 PM
Dakotr95
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Tming Chain | How To Install It From Scratch??

Hey guys,

I need help with setting the timing on my 95 3.9l V6. I overhauled the engine so I am putting everything back together; not just installing a new timing chain.

I know that the two dots from the sprockets have to line up, the rotor needs to point to the #1 spark plug cable, the #1 cylinder needs to be at TDC on the compression stroke, and that's about it.

I am trying to figure out which is the compression stroke, but every time I turn the crankshaft it looks like the valves are always closed. Even when I reach the second turn which would be the exhaust stroke both rocker arms are loose, meaning that the valves are closed. Shouldn't the exhaust valve be open??

Could someone help me out with a step by step procedure on how to time everything? Really appreciate the help. Thanks!

Old 03-04-2015, 09:42 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Sounds like you need to set the lash, which will require setting the cam timing properly.

Ignore the others - if the two dots are pointing towards each other on a 3.9, then the two (cam and crank) are sync'ed with each other.

Then you go to adjusting the valve lash on the Magnum motor you have.

RwP

Old 03-05-2015, 05:30 PM
Dakotr95
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@RalphP,

So the only thing I need to worry about are the two dots lined up?

I just installed the timing chain, gears and tensioner. Before I close everything just want to make sure that I have it right:

The two dots line up, the rotor points to the #1 spark plug wire in the dizzy, and #1 piston is all the way up. Is there something I could be missing?

Old 03-06-2015, 10:40 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

That's about it.

Next step is to go through and make sure the valve lash is right, which has to be done AFTER the cam is synced to the crank.

RwP

Old 03-06-2015, 05:11 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Just one point, when you said you aligned the 2 marks, You turned the top mark down, (cam gear) and the bottom mark up, (crank gear) Another way to say it, is the marks are as close together as they can get.

I found this link. Hope the picture helps you. http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/530b...-9-engine.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tming Chain | How To Install It From Scratch??