1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Dakota won't start after overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 02:00 PM
Nopalito
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Dakota won't start after overhaul

I have a 95 Dodge Dakota with 85k miles. I bought it and it was running perfectly until I discovered excessive oil build up in the engine (about 6 months later) and I decided to start cleaning at the heads. It was so filthy that I ended up cleaning all the engine. The process has been long and it has been standing for more than a year. I started at taking the engine block to be cleaned in acid, put in all new gaskets and seals,some new sensors, new rocker arms, new piston rings, new crankshaft rings, etc.. I even rectified the valve seats, cleaned the injectors and replaced 2 that were looking defective. I sealed everything up but now the engine just won't start. It sounded like it wanted to start but couldn't, kind of like it had lots of compression but no ignition. Sounded like it was out of sync. I checked the timing chain and saw it was kind of loose so I decided to change it for a new one.(The reason I didn't change it at the beginning is that the previous owner had just put in a new one but since the truck had so much motor gunk in it, the timing chain probably was overworking to make everything move). Again, I try to start up the engine..This time it sounds different, a little more synchronization..but still won't start. So I opened up again to check the heads and now I found coolant in the pistons 3 and 5. And burnt looking pistons 2 and 6. Number 6 had a little oil at the top of the piston.

I am out of ideas...Anyone have suggestions...Thanks for your time.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:33 PM
soar_dude
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default here's my 2 cents

Okay the coolant you found is most likely when you pulled it apart to check the heads. The scorched pistons sound like you are getting spark and fuel. So that leaves timing the trickyist part. After I did my rebuild it took me a few tries to get the timing right. If you get the #1 TDC and the rotor pointing at the #6 cylinder you are close or 180° out. You either have some one in the drivers seat or a remote starter I perfer someone in the seat. With the distributor bolt loose have them start cranking you start turning the distributor until it either starts back firing or starts and runs if it back fires you're 180° out and that means you have to hit TDC on #1 and spin the rotorshaft 180° then put it back together and try again. One other thing have a fire extinguisher on hand or a garden hose. Good luck

Dudester

Quick Reply: Dakota won't start after overhaul