1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Wipers don't work

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 08:54 AM
Rayb386
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wipers don't work

Just bought this 1992 le with a 5.2 auto as a project wipes don't work jumped the motor with 12 volts and it works fine directional and washer works at switch so I am assuming it is the relay I need all your help with this.

Ray

Old 04-22-2015, 05:12 AM
Nerosis

My wipers stopped working recently also...ended up being a faulty ground. Test it before taking apart your lower dash to get at the (Intermittent Wiper Relay Control Module) . You can test it by using a wire with 2 alligator clips on it. Connect one end to the motor/mounting bracket then the other to a ground.

Good Luck.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:34 AM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I recently replaced my wiper motor to rectify this same problem. I checked/rewired the motor ground to no effect. Definitely check the ground first as corrosion is common at the motor ground.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:23 PM
Rayb386
Default Wipers don't work

Ok I did all the checks jumped ground no luck again I jumped the motor and it runs fine and the Switch on column works turn signals and washer so I am again assuming that's fine so it must be the relay module????

So at this point I'm guessing it is the wiper relay and it is behind glove box???

Thank you all
Ray

Last edited by Rayb386; 04-22-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:26 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

You realize that the wiper switch section can be bad, and the rest of the multi function switch be good, right?

Time to check the signal into and out of the MFS and see what's happening there.

Here's a copy of the 1995 FSM, the page of interest, and the closest match I have. Notice there's no wiper relay shown. I DO highly recommend checking Ebay for either a paper or DVD copy of the Factory Service Manual, which has items like this, and a complete troubleshooting flowchart (with where you check for what).

This is on my personal web server. Take normal precautions for an unknown source.

RwP

Old 04-23-2015, 10:57 PM
jamesmcn

Try grounding the motor I thought the problem was motor and i bought a second but they both needed grounded to work.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:16 PM
Rayb386
Default Wipers not working

Ok jumped motor runs fine put alligator clips to motor and ground did not work now I need to find out where the intermittent wiper relay is located before I pull wheel and change switch I am truly at a loss I thought relay was under hood next to battery it is not and I can't find it in any of the books I have please help!!! I will try anything

Old 04-27-2015, 01:06 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

It's not in the factory service manual for a 1992?

For my 1988, it's just to the passenger side from the steering column, with the wiring pointing towards the steering column. Remove the panel under the column, and it's rather visible there.

For 1995, it's in the same place.

But before I did too much, I'd grab the manual and go through the trouble-shooting steps therein.

And *ahem* If you're using a Chilton's or Haynes, well - they're related to the factory service manual like a Harlequinn romance is related to actually having sexual intercourse. Reads similar, but it's NOTHING like the real thing *grins* I find as I type this that Ebay has some for as little as $25 for paper, $27 for a CD version. WELL worth the money if you've got a project car going. I'd recommend the paper version, so you can annotate where you variate from the factory, but either beats what Haynes and Chilton's will sell you.

RwP

Quick Reply: Wipers don't work