1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

87 Dakota Need Help SOS!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 10:21 PM
jamesmcn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Dakota Need Help SOS!

Hello I had recently purchased a 87 Dakota V6 Base Package. It has had a loose shifter where I go from park to reverse to neutral and so forth and it seems to be sliding with ease I cannot hear the linkage move at all. I went under the car and found what looks to be a broken bushing where the linkage is mounted. Once under the Dakota I am able to shift with the linkage on the trans. Now I goto start it and it says BRAKE in all red letters and will not turn over or do anything. I want to add that it has somewhat of a "stiff" brake pedal. Although it seems to stop on a dime, well a quarter. Would this linkage be causing my issue? Also what position is park on the trans? I can post pics tomorrow when it is daylight. I want to add that I can take the gearshift on the column and it goes all the way past park and 1 going downward. What seems to be my problem? Please Help!

-James

Old 04-25-2015, 01:09 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

I think you have multiples.

BRAKE - Make certain the parking brake is ALL the way up. Almost all the ones I see in the boneyard (and mine!) have the return spring broken, so it doesn't come up all the way, and so it never clears the BRAKE light switch that it uses to tell you that it's on (not to be confused with the brake light switch on the foot brake ... )

For the other - I bet it's not in neutral or park due to the bushing, so you can't start it due to the neutral safety switch. Been There Done That.

The Dorman Help 14041 package has two bushings you can use to replace those old worn out broken bushings, although it's a bit of "fun" to get it all together.

Try replacing those (NOTE! BE SURE TO CHOCK THE WHEELS SO IT WON'T ROLL WITH YOU UNDER THE TRUCK!!!) and seeing if that doesn't take care of the no-start situation.

RwP

Quick Reply: 87 Dakota Need Help SOS!