1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

put '92 ax15 in place of '91 np535

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 02:43 PM
idledan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default put '92 ax15 in place of '91 np535

5th gear went out on my Dak '91 3.9 4x4 np535, I found a Dak '92 3.9 4x4 w/ ax15 (rebuilt) I would like to change this over, will my '91 clutch and clutch cylinder, pressure plate, starter and sensors work?
my starter, through out and clutch were replaced just last month, hopefully they are interchangeable. Or what will I have to change out?
Any help w/ this is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:06 PM
Thomas_kota
Rookie

I checked out rock auto for clutch parts. Compaired to the 91 and 92, the part numbers are different... Says different splines too.
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?ck[billing]=undefined&ck[shipping]=undefined&ck[PHPSESSID]=fft07h75vmhd2nrt95rhoj3ku6&ck[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[viewcurrency]=CAD&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=fft07h75vmhd2nrt95rhoj3ku6

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?ck[billing]=undefined&ck[shipping]=undefined&ck[PHPSESSID]=fft07h75vmhd2nrt95rhoj3ku6&ck[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[viewcurrency]=CAD&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=fft07h75vmhd2nrt95rhoj3ku6

Old 06-28-2015, 05:18 PM
idledan

I have changed the transmission, It required more work than I was ready to do.
replaced the flywheel, cutch, pressure plate, modified the axle bracket to the bell housing, cross member bracket and mount base for the ax15.
I installed a new fuel pump as well. All new fluids in everything. A new vacuum hose to the xfer case.
It fired right up ran for 15 minuets and died, so I disconnected the battery, swaped around the all kill relays. It started and ran for an hour long enough to check the new transmission and get back home. Then it died. Now when I can get it to start it backfires like the timing is off. It will eventually start running and sound right but abruptly dies.
The crankshaft sensor is in the distributor so I don't believe that is the problem.
There is a sensor on the transmission that has a different connector than the old np535 so I spliced the wires, I'm not sure what that sensor is for. The O2 sensor is good. The only other sensor in w/ the speed o cable to the xfer case (speed sensor?)

So now I'm baffled, the old truck was running perfect before the swap and now she just won't go.
anyone have any ideas?

Old 06-30-2015, 12:21 AM
Thomas_kota
Rookie

Yea thats a speed sensor for the pcm. I recently replaced mine

Old 08-10-2015, 11:08 PM
idledan
Default bad splices

So I finally got back to update this thread.
Not only is there a splice under the relay box but also on the back of the engine there is a grommet spade under the bracket that bolts down the fuel lines. This is the engine ground for the coil and the ecm. 2 black wires, This was the problem w/ crank no start on mine. very hard to see as the solenoid vacuum lines and the electrical to the front of the engine hide it.
So before you replace all them sensors and the ecu check that the coil and ecu has a good ground to the engine.

Hope this helps someone.

Quick Reply: put '92 ax15 in place of '91 np535