1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

How to best remove fuel pump ?

Old 06-20-2015, 04:50 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts
Default How to best remove fuel pump ?

I wanted to see if anyone can post their knowledge on how to remove the fuel pump from the gas tank without making a mess of spilled gas all over. I've done it twice and cannot manage not to spill.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:51 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Try and drain as much gas out first.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:00 AM
VMX12Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Provided you don't have a rust issue, believe it or not it's usually quicker to remove the bed. Usually only 6 to 8 bolts and one plug for the tail lights. Takes three people to lift it and move it back a foot or two to get to the top of the pump. It sounds crazy but its how we do it at work. It only takes like 10 minutes to remove a bed on most trucks. Only truck I've found that it wouldn't work on so far is a Jeep Comanche - the tank is strapped to the bed.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:24 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

Yea but that does not solve the problem of the quart plus of gas inside the open pump itself which is the issue. The last time I removed the bed it still had all that fuel in the pump to deal with. You have to tilt it to get the float arm out and then it spills.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 06-22-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-05-2023, 12:01 PM
Rafitherad
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
Yea but that does not solve the problem of the quart plus of gas inside the open pump itself which is the issue. The last time I removed the bed it still had all that fuel in the pump to deal with. You have to tilt it to get the float arm out and then it spills.
pull it out halfway and siphon the fuel out.

The following users liked this post:
onemore94dak (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 02:42 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 421 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Rafitherad
pull it out halfway and siphon the fuel out.
After 8 years since writing that post I wonder if he figured it out?

onemore94dak (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 05:00 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

No I didn't. I don't change them that often.
I was hoping for exactly that kind of suggestion.
I couldn't think of how to siphon it while holding it then I remembered a pump I bought to fill my transmission on the little truck might work to do just that. Might need a separate one for gasoline though. I expect it would only get one use until the gas ate it up.

Old 04-05-2023, 07:01 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 573 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
No I didn't. I don't change them that often.
I was hoping for exactly that kind of suggestion.
I couldn't think of how to siphon it while holding it then I remembered a pump I bought to fill my transmission on the little truck might work to do just that. Might need a separate one for gasoline though. I expect it would only get one use until the gas ate it up.

I generally remove the bed, but I use an air hose to drain the tank first. Run a siphon hose into the filler tube. Have several empty gas cans and an air supply. Wrap some rags and stuff them into the filler pipe, then pressurize the tank until the fuel starts to flow. It takes time but I've nearly completely drained tanks like that. Then just lift the pump and tilt it back and forth to let it drain. The only spills I ever get are a little dab when I swap the hose to another can and a couple of times I didn't swap it quick enough.

onemore94dak (04-06-2023)
Old 04-06-2023, 09:09 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
I generally remove the bed, but I use an air hose to drain the tank first. Run a siphon hose into the filler tube. Have several empty gas cans and an air supply. Wrap some rags and stuff them into the filler pipe, then pressurize the tank until the fuel starts to flow. It takes time but I've nearly completely drained tanks like that. Then just lift the pump and tilt it back and forth to let it drain. The only spills I ever get are a little dab when I swap the hose to another can and a couple of times I didn't swap it quick enough.
I never had luck tilting it. The way I learned to siphon from a tank was to use a hose long enough to do this, stick it into the tank then blow into it until you can hear bubbles in the tank, cover the end in your mouth with your thumb to seal it then drop that end down below the bottom of the tank and remove your thumb. Honestly I've only ever seen it done once and it took a couple try's.
Edit - When you cover the end with your thumb it should be done without stopping blowing into the hose until you've covered it. Thus "cover the end in your mouth"

Last edited by onemore94dak; 04-07-2023 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-19-2023, 12:43 AM
crazyjerry
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to change fuel pump is easy. drop spare tire. unplug taillights. undo bed bolts. lift driver side of bed a foot or so and put block of wood. take pump out. never had to syphon fuel out for any reason

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to best remove fuel pump ?