1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

shelby dakota cooling fans

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 08:33 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Default shelby dakota cooling fans

I have been trying to find a diagram, pictures, etc but not having much luck. I would really like to see a picture of the fans installed. Just trying to get ideas on sandwiching the fans between the condenser and the radiator for a future v8 conversion. Thanks for your help

Old 08-03-2015, 11:58 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

93 ragtop, it really is difficult to find pictures of the fans as they were installed in the Shelby Dakotas. You might see if there's a facebook page for Shelby Dakotas and try asking someone on there to post a picture. I haven't checked on whether there's a Shelby Dak FB page, but I know there's one for convertible Daks.

You saw the picture of the Intrepid fans I installed in my truck, but I didn't include the AC condenser, which left me plenty room. I think the Intrepid fans would work with a condensor if the shroud was trimmed or the fans completely removed from the shroud. You would also need to cut some material from the back of the grille.

My Intrepid fan assembly measures 26 3/8” wide across the shroud, and 30 3/4” tab to tab. It's 15 1/4” high, and 3 1/2” deep. The shroud could be trimmed away to lose an inch or so of depth.

Last edited by ragged89; 08-04-2015 at 12:01 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:47 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Best picture I've ever seen was without the A/C condensor -

Old 08-05-2015, 09:31 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Ragged89, I heard this morning that they just (converted) a junk yard that is about 10 miles from my house to a "pick-a-part" I plan to go by and see if they have an intrepid.......
I have 2 more questions for you.
1. The Hayden 3653 you are using for fan control, had you considered using two? Set 1 for low speed, and set the other 20 degrees warmer for high?
2. In another post, I read where the early radiators inlet pipe interferes with the compressor on a magnum engine. Not sure if that is true or not. I know you are not running AC yet, but would like your opinion.

Thanks

Old 08-05-2015, 09:35 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Ralph,

Thanks for the picture. I was hoping to see exactly how they mounted it. I want to mount the fan to the radiator support rather then to the radiator. My understanding, with a v8 motor there is no clearance, so to drop the radiator in, I believe it would be much easier if the fan is separate. That way, the accessories would not have to be removed to install a radiator.
Thanks Again

Old 08-05-2015, 07:21 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
Ragged89, I heard this morning that they just (converted) a junk yard that is about 10 miles from my house to a "pick-a-part" I plan to go by and see if they have an intrepid.......
I have 2 more questions for you.
1. The Hayden 3653 you are using for fan control, had you considered using two? Set 1 for low speed, and set the other 20 degrees warmer for high?
2. In another post, I read where the early radiators inlet pipe interferes with the compressor on a magnum engine. Not sure if that is true or not. I know you are not running AC yet, but would like your opinion.

Thanks
Hey, that's good news on the pick-a-part! There's a couple in my area and they've been a great resource.

I do have plans for a second fan control in the future, however for now I'm keeping hi-speed under manual control via a switch - until I see how everything performs. When I add the second control it will have it's own probe, mounted lower in the radiator. The reason being that if the coolant level drops the higher probe will go cold and kill the fans. The second probe should then be able to kick in independently when the temp goes up. I have indicator LEDs wired for both lo and hi speed that will show me which fans are running. If I suddenly notice that only the hi speed fans are running, it would let me know that I've lost coolant, or a relay has failed, etc. I'm a little paranoid about cooling issues. Oh, one more thing, those hand-held IR temperature probes are great for setting up your fan temp control.

In regard to the upper radiator hose, the '89 radiator's input and the Magnum's pump outlet may be an issue if you're using AC in your ride. You can see it in the picture below, where the '89 Dak hose runs right across the area where the compressor sits. Someone told me you can use the upper hose from a Jeep Cherokee (ZJ) to fix this though.

The radiator outlet (bottom) also presents a small problem. The '89 hose was too small to fit over the Magnum's pump fitting, and the Magnum hose was slightly too large for the '89's radiator fitting. I ended up using the magnum hose and stretched a piece of bicycle inner tube over the radiator outlet to make up the difference. The '89 upper hose fit both ends just fine.

Quick Reply: shelby dakota cooling fans