1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

94 Dakota shuts off while driving!

Old 08-07-2015, 04:43 PM
Kodyowner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Dakota shuts off while driving!

OK all you Dakota Experts:
I own a '95 5.2 Sport extended cab automatic; bought it new. Its got almost 200k, and never been a problem. Regular maintenance & repairs keeps it a happy truck.
Recently bought an identical garage kept '94 off eBay. 114k. Looks and drives great, except for one annoying issue - it'll just die whenever it feels like it - on the interstate at 75mph, in traffic at 30 mph, while sitting at a stop light, etc. Not only annoying & embarrassing, but also dangerous. Sometimes does it several times a day, then will behave for months, then do it again. No common thing or condition seems to make it decide to do this.
Here's the symptoms: Engine quits, all dashboard gauges go to their "off" positions, just like I turned the key off. But the radio, blower, lights, flashers, & other stuff keeps working. After I coast to a stop (sometimes with white knuckles and blaring horn accompanyment) it will restart after about 30 seconds and act like nothing ever happened.
So I bought a dealer service manual off eBay, read everything I could find that seems to relate to this. Went through the PCM wiring harness using the manual's wiring diagrams, cleaned connections, replaced the Power Center relays and checked its wires, etc. Still does it; did it today while going to the eye doctor.
What do you suggest I do to make this Dakota stop scaring the wife?

Last edited by Kodyowner; 08-07-2015 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:22 PM
44dakota
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be a lot of things,fuel pump,tps,asd,cps..do you have a check engine light?? if not,it could be something as simple as your ingnition switch going out also..

Old 08-11-2015, 07:08 PM
Alacoque
Rookie

If I'm not mistaken, the engine light doesn't necessarily need to be on for the computer to be throwing a code. Check your system for trouble codes. The procedure and flash code guide can be found in the FAQ 1.

It's definitely a good place to start

Old 08-15-2015, 04:04 PM
Kodyowner

Thanks guys. Great info. Gonna see if I can get this "new" Kody to behave a little better.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:11 PM
Kodyowner
Default Still a problem, but different.

I took your advise: checked the wiring, soldered the splices, and had a friendly car guy check all those parts known by initials, etc. Never had another problem all winter. But now that I'm using the air conditioner again, the problem is back - but only when the A/C is turned on. Now, when the A/C is on, the speedometer starts wagging around and the engine will stutter, but the tach stays steady! All this will quit acting weird when I turn the A/C off.
So how can I safely drive this truck and still use the A/C?

Old 06-15-2016, 02:18 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the AC work (blows cold air) during this time? Is it possible the AC compressor is locked up and creating a drag on the engine?

Old 06-15-2016, 02:28 PM
Kodyowner

A/C works like it should. Blows cold air, cycles on & off, etc. I've thought there might be something wrong with the clutch wiring, but can't find anything. Hoping its not a PCM problem!

Old 06-15-2016, 07:27 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

I would look for an electrical short. There is a known issue with the fuel pump wiring harness. I can't find the old TSB link I had with w diagram. It might be that the strain of the AC is pulling so much power from the system it is starving the fuel pump for power. Maybe get the alt and battery tested? to be sure they are providing full power? Anything else I would go to an auto electric guy but I know you want to do it yourself

Old 06-18-2016, 03:38 PM
smokin1994
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been messing with the same issue on my 94 Dakota. Thought it was the battery, but took it out the other day and it bucked a couple times then it died. Get it back to the farm, starts up and had it driving for hours doing chores on the property!

Old 06-24-2016, 10:58 AM
Kodyowner

Well fellas - the 94 Kody is cured! I took your advice and stared tracing wiring diagrams. Got down to the transmission tunnel, and found that some yahoo had taken the wiring harness apart that connects to the speed sensor. Whoever this idiot was cut all 5 wires (only 3 are used), twisted them together, and left them with the bare twisted conductors waving in the breeze! When the truck hit a bump, these bare wires grounded on the transmission case! No wonder the PCM was confused. I've driven Kody over 200 miles since then without any of the previous problems.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 94 Dakota shuts off while driving!