1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Can't Get The Timing Right! Please Help

Old 08-12-2015, 06:18 PM
Dakotr95
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Can't Get The Timing Right! Please Help

I have a 95 dakota 3.9l which I overhauled and did an extensive clean up due to oil gunk. After setting everything up, the truck wont start. A mechanic told me that the problem was in the timing.

So after removing everything and getting to the chain, I checked where I was getting the compression stroke. I did the trick where you place some paper on cyl #1 and watch it blow off when you reach the compression stroke.

Turns out that I get the compression stroke when the camshaft gear dot is on 12 o'clock and crankshaft gear is at 12 o'clock. I tried backing the camshaft gear one full turn, but it still didn't work. Could anybody please suggest what I should do?

Thanks!

Old 08-13-2015, 12:03 AM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Where is the distributor pointing when you have the gears lined up?

Old 08-13-2015, 04:41 PM
Dakotr95
Amateur
Talking

Originally Posted by Tom A
Where is the distributor pointing when you have the gears lined up?
I can freely switch the rotor 180 degrees just by lifting it up a little, and rotating it. I don't know how many times I have played around with it, so I'm not sure if the position it is right now is reliable

Old 08-13-2015, 05:27 PM
Dakotr95
Amateur

Most of the times, when the cam gear dot is on 12 o'clock, and the crank gear dot is at 12 o'clock, the rotor will be pointing to #1 cylinder.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:34 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts
Old 08-14-2015, 02:35 PM
Dakotr95
Amateur

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
Thanks for the document. It covers good info on the proper installment of the cam and distributor drive gear. But it doesn't help much with the problem I have. I pretty much get the compression stroke for #1 cylinder when the cam gear dot is at the top, and the crank gear dot is at the top as well. When I line up the dots they way they are supposed to be, I am at the exhaust stroke and not on the compression stroke

Old 08-14-2015, 03:30 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Dakotr95 - Don't worry about where it is when you get the dots lined up.

6 o'clock on cam and 12 o'clock on crank is right.

If it's not, there's something broken ...

That does not mean that #1 is at compression when you do that!

Set #1 on compression to help set the DISTRIBUTOR right.

RwP

Old 08-14-2015, 05:01 PM
Dakotr95
Amateur

Originally Posted by RalphP
Dakotr95 - Don't worry about where it is when you get the dots lined up.

6 o'clock on cam and 12 o'clock on crank is right.

If it's not, there's something broken ...

That does not mean that #1 is at compression when you do that!

Set #1 on compression to help set the DISTRIBUTOR right.

RwP

Well, I get the compression stroke on #1 cylinder when the cam is at 12 o'clock and crank is at 12 o'clock. From what I know, when the dots line up with each other, that's going to be compression stroke for #1 cylinder.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:32 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Your timing is set by the computer you cannot affect it. The only thing you can do is set the synchronization of the injectors firing to when the valves open. If you have a scan tool reset the IAC and check the sync and anything else than it lets you check. When I did my timing chain the dots were pointing at each other when I installed it. Cam at 6 crank at 12. If the cam and crank are both at 12 when you get the air to move the paper which is what you are calling TDC on the compression stroke, one of them is 180 degrees off. Edit to be clear after Ralphs post below me I simply set the timing mark on the crank at the TDC mark on the timing chain cover. When I took off the Dist cap the rotor was pointing at #1. I have no idea if it was a compression stroke or not I was following instructions. I was doing a plenum kit so I decided to do the timing chain and add a tensioner while I had the motor apart.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 08-14-2015 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:32 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

The FSM says no, it's NOT the compression stroke for #1 when the dots are at 6 and 12, facing each other.

Here is how they are SUPPOSED to be aligned. Don't worry about the compression or lack thereof AT THIS POINT. I repeat, AT THIS POINT. Matter of fact, some folks will put the gears on before the pushrods and rocker arms are in the car ... kind of hard to do a compression alignment with them out, eh? Can even do it with the heads OFF the motor ...

http://www.philent.biz/images/88_Dak...ming_Chain.pdf

You can do it your way, but the #1 cylinder will be 180* out on the distributor since the cam is 180* out ... All other cylinders will be also.

RwP

RwP

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can't Get The Timing Right! Please Help