1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Brake issues.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 07:41 PM
tmaxx00
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake issues.

I have a 1994 Dodge Dakota. I noticed recently that the parking brake light on the dashboard stays on. Also the brake pedal has more travel than it used to. I started investigating and found that if I press down the parking brake pedal, it doesn"t seem to release. Also, I took off the front tire and noticed that turning the rotor is difficult. I could turn it but it took some effort.
Any advice on how to proceed?

Old 08-24-2015, 08:54 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Check your brake fluid level for starters. Low fluid makes the light come on.

Last edited by jkeaton; 08-25-2015 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:13 PM
tmaxx00

I checked the brake fluid and it is full. I removed both back wheels. On the driver side rear drum, I am unable to remove the drum. I am thinking that either the parking brake is not releasing or I need to loosen the self adjuster to back off the brake pads. Problem is that I'm not sure how to loose up the self adjuster (star).
Is the direction I need to turn the self adjuster is start with the screwdriver handle high and then bring down.? In one direction the self adjustor is easy to move, but in the other direction it won't turn.
Also, on the rear wheels, if I have both wheels off the ground and tires removed, should I be able to turn the drum freely?

thx

Old 08-25-2015, 09:34 PM
tmaxx00

I have tried with a flat screwdriver to loosen the self adjuster, but the screwdriver isn't working. Do I need a special tool like a spoon adjuster?

Old 09-07-2015, 10:45 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry, this reply is probably too late.

I bet that your parking brake cable is seized.

But if you want to try backing off the star adjuster, you can do it with two screwdrivers. With one you gotta hold up the springloaded adjuster lever and the other you spin the star wheel Kinda difficult to get into the right position but easy once you get the hang of it.

Quick Reply: Brake issues.