1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

3.9 six cylinder EFI vs. Magnum six cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 08:22 PM
KevinSandidge
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3.9 six cylinder EFI vs. Magnum six cylinder

Hey; i've had a 94 dakota SLT and recently i bought a 91 thinking since they both have the 3.9L, i could swap out parts if need be. On the 91 front fender it says 3.9 EFI...what is efi? and on the 94 it says 3.9 Magnum. I'm assuming they have different carbs. What are the differences? What parts from the magnum can i use on the 91EFI? Any info would be appreciated. thanks!

Old 09-02-2015, 08:59 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Heh.

The 1991 V6 is (from notes on Allpar.COM) the LA based V6, not the Magnum V6. To answer your question, "Not really that much that's worth using."

And to correct some minor terminology errors - neither one has a carburator.

The 1991 should be throttle body injected, the 1994 is multi port fuel injected. Different schemes.

To get some handle on what's common and what's not, I find this discusson http://www.magnumswap.com/using-la-parts-on-a-magnum/ informative.

Note: There ARE some variances, since this article is presuming you'd be swapping V8 to V8, not V6 to V6. But overall, the general themes are the same (head variances, valve cover variances, intake variances, etc.)

For 1994, you may be able to use the transmission.

Now, the body and suspension parts should swap if they are both the same wheeled-ness (i.e., 2WD or 4WD). And the driveshaft, if both are the same wheel base and same transmission (Auto or manual, short or long wheelbase).

You can also swap dash panels, the upper dash, the seats, etc. Doors if both are the same cab (regular or extended). Etc. etc. Wheels swap too. Front hubs swap, as do brakes (although, TBH, I'd not reuse brakes from a 1991 ... except as cores!)

Due to the intake differences, the fuel pumps might not swap in the tank. Tanks may be different or not, don't know. Taillights swap. Headlights and grills CAN swap (one may be aero, one not ... but enough back on the grills and wiring harnesses and they'll swap.)

Radiator may, not sure. Shroud is different I think, but ICBW.

RwP

Old 09-02-2015, 09:23 PM
KevinSandidge
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey; thanks a lot Ralph; good information and i will check out that link. I have a new computer in the 94 so i'm wondering if i can use that and i have a new water pump. the 91 is standard trans so that's out. i will try and afford to keep both running cause it's good to have a backup ride. thanks again man.

Quick Reply: 3.9 six cylinder EFI vs. Magnum six cylinder