1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1995 crossmembers

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 03:46 PM
Ndr
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 crossmembers

So, I got my 'new to me' Dakota home a few days ago. While I was crawling around under the, I saw that my rear cross member is in sad condition. This is in addition to the smallish hole that the previous owner pointed out to me in the transmission cross member. (I was originally planning on patching the small hole in the trans cross member)

Are these cross members easily replaceable, or more importantly able to even be bought? It appears that they are just bolted in. Would anyone have part numbers, or a good place to check to buy from? Is this a part a dealer would be able to order for this old of a vehicle?

As far as I can see, the frame rails themselves are solid, albeit a lot of surface rust, but I've not found any additional holes yet.

For clarification, I've got a 1995 Dakota 4x4 extended cab.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:34 PM
Ndr
Amateur

Dang, almost 200 views and no replies.

Should I take this to mean that finding a replacement cross member is useless? Or maybe no-one is sure exactly which one I'm talking about?

the rear cross member that I am looking for is the one forward of the rear wheels, and appears to support the gas tank and the front of the bed.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:43 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Yah, I wasn't sure what you were talking about.

Let's make it easy - on the diagram at http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...category=20301 , you talking about call out 13?

RwP

Old 10-02-2015, 08:23 PM
Ndr
Amateur

The the one I would need is actually call out #7 on that diagram.

Holds up the back of the gas tank, just forward of the rear wheels where the frame rails curve down after going over the axle. (So not the 1st cross member supporting the bed, though still the front half...)

However, it Looks like it's not listed in the parts list on the right, even in the "not available" parts. Any Ideas for a source, junk yards aside?

Old 10-09-2015, 10:36 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Go to your local Dodge Dealer parts department. They will have diagrams just like the one above with all the part numbers. Then get the part number and do a Google search on it.

Also, try the parts manuals in the FAQ in this section.

From that picture, it looks like it might just be a simple C-Channel bracket. If it does bolt in, I'm sure someone can make a custom simple replacement. Take off your old one and check around at custom auto shops or welding shops.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:19 AM
Ndr
Amateur

I've actually been contemplating fabricating up the crossmember myself. I'm confident I could build it OK. However, I'm just not sure my cheap POS welder is up to the task. All I've got at the moment is one of the little Harbor Freight flux core welders. Though I would like to have a new MIG setup by spring. I guess well see then what route I take.

Quick Reply: 1995 crossmembers