1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1990 transmission help

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 10:26 PM
mark38090
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1990 transmission help

My 1990, 3.9 auto, has developed a problem with the transmission. If I put the accelerator on the floor, the kick down cable or whatever is sticking and won't let the transmission shift out of first gear. I got underneath tonight and manually manipulated the lever but it didn't help. Finally after about 10 minutes it started shifting again normally. Is it possible that because I never run it hard that cable has become gummed up or something? Is it possible to just disconnect the arm at the throttle body and just eliminate the kick down? I'm looking for any suggestion.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:11 AM
wyrmrider
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do not disconnect the TV- it controls your throttle pressure do check for sticking
do you live in salt- snow country?
missing a spring if any?
only way to run without TV is to run full manual Valve body- and that gets really old really fast on the street
which tranny 904? lock up?
I built one for a 6 cyl AMC using an AMC 360 V8 "998" case and guts
gives you a double wrap low/reverse band and HD guts
If you ever have to go through your 3.9 think about it
Of course you can always go 727

see the FAQ
My automatic transmission is not shifting properly. - A common cause of improper shifting can be caused by a miss adjusted Throttle Valve (TV) Cable. To adjust it properly click HERE. Don't forget a low fluid level can cause shifting problems. This cable can be refereed as the Detent cable, Down shift cable. The TV cable can adjust shift points. You can try doing a transmission fluid change. Go HERE for a diagnostic chart.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:10 PM
mark38090
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My trans is the 42RH (A500). Fluid level is good and it shifts fine any other time. I rarely ever put the pedal past half way so it makes me lean toward the lever sticking. I live in the south and only drive about 20 miles a day. I'll check the adjustment this weekend when i can get it in the air.

Quick Reply: 1990 transmission help