1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Improved headlights, early Gen1's

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 11:48 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts
Default Improved headlights, early Gen1's

OK.

I have a 1988 which uses the 4666 Sealed Beam Piece of Stuff headlight.

It's bright, but doesn't help you see down the road well.

I've been looking for a replacement, and think I've found it.

But first off: Technically, using anything else but the 4666 is illegal. If you get pulled over and ticketed, well, not my problem. (If I do, it IS my problem, but that's MY problem, not yours *grins*)

So.

I've tried a nylon/glass assembly; it worked OK but the nylon housing warped with heat.

I then went for a metal Autopal assembly, which didn't melt - the chrome plating on the inside (for the reflector bowl) bubbled and it started rusting!

I finally bit the bullet and spent the money for a pair of Hella 4x6 H4 enclosures ( Hella 003177862 ); also a pair of Hella 100/55W H4 bulbs (to replace my ZXe's which are a year and a half, but also about 45,000, down the road.)

I already have a dual relay harness (both the high and the low beams have their own relay, their own fuse) built with 12ga wire.

THAT said - the Hella's use the ECE cutoff, which is a sharp knee up to the right for US compatible housings.

And these have a nice sharp cutoff. They're not HID projector grade, but TBH, I don't like those - they cut off TOO sharp, and I can't see the street signs or up the other side of the hill I'm going down (as in down, then up - can't see the up).

But on high - WhooWEEE you can tell they're 100W bulbs!

I didn't have any pictures tonight; but after I shadowcast them (possibly tomorrow) I'll take some pics and show them here.

RwP

Old 05-25-2016, 07:08 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

out of curiosity is 100/55 watt legal for street? If not what is actually legal?
At any rate I look forward to updates on your headlights.

BTW the older I get the more I realize nobody makes a good headlight!!

Old 05-25-2016, 08:34 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Legal should be the 60/55W for a H4 bulb.

Also, legal for my truck is the 4666 only *grins*

But yeah, that sealed beam is not worth the powder to blow them to wherever IMO.

RwP

Quick Reply: Improved headlights, early Gen1's