1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Transfer case chain width

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 11:43 PM
tomgreene
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer case chain width

My tcase 231d on my 96 5.2 is clunking a lot so I want to open it up and see what's going on. It's my daily and I don't have any experience with them so I want to only do it once and attempt to fix it. I'm getting a rebuild kit and a chain, but I can not find a definitive answer as to the chain width. The t cases on jeeps and chevys all have 1" wide chains, but from what I've read is the dodges are slightly wider. I see some that are 1 1/8" and some that are 1 3/8" on ebay. Another website says they're 1 1/4". I have no idea which one to get. Has anyone else replaced their chain? I see tons of jeep forums discussing it but no dodge forums.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:20 AM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It can be tough to determine exactly what the innards of a particular NP231 are. From my limited experience, most units found in 1st gen Dakotas are 23 spline input, have a 1" output shaft, and use the 1" chain. The output shaft and the chain width appears to follow the rear end size. The trucks with the 8.25" rear have the smaller 1" output shaft (27 spline), and 1" chain. Trucks that have the 9.25" rear seem to have the NP231 with the 1.25" chain, as well as a larger diameter rear output shaft. It makes sense that the later, heavier Dakotas, as well as the Durangos and full-size trucks, would need the 1.25" chain and heavier rear end.

I really can't be 100% sure of any of that though, especially where '94 to '96 Dakotas are concerned. A lot of changes were being made in those years, so there are variations.

Here's a suggestion. Call some supply houses about the parts you need and ask them what chain you need. Ask them if you can exchange the chain if it turns out it's the wrong width. I know some places are happy to do this if you're buying parts from them.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:21 PM
tomgreene
Rookie

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking I'll probably just get a 1" and pull the case apart and hope it's the right one. My case was manufactured in 95, and like you said they made some changes during those years. I do have the 8.25" rear.
The case is leaking atf like crazy out of the rear output shaft, I want to do the seals soon anyways.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:47 PM
tomgreene
Rookie

hey ragged just a quick question. I'm about to order parts for my case but I just saw a listing for a 1" chain with 36 links. Have you ever seen these in the dakotas? the vast majority of listings I've found are for 31 link chains. I thought they were all 31 but I guess not

Old 07-01-2016, 12:24 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, I don't know what the different (36 link) chain would be for. I'm thinking it's for one of the newer transfer cases. I'm pretty sure mine was 31.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:25 PM
tomgreene
Rookie

I figured. It was probably mislabeled or a miscellaneous part.
Thanks for all your knowledge

Quick Reply: Transfer case chain width