1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93 dak, rough shifts,no power,

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 10:01 PM
JayJantti
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 dak, rough shifts,no power,

Hey everyone.

I have a 93 Dakota sport with the 5.2l and about 259k miles on her. Recently she started shifting rough and and seems weak on acceleration. At first I thought it was a transmission issue, but now I'm not so sure. whatever it is, is effecting the shifting. I checked fluid and dropped the pan as my first steps and everything there was kosher. A little metal dust in there but nothing i would consider abnormal for 250k miles. Changed the fluid and filer and such just because i had it open. Next i checked the vacuum line. Here is where I have a question. The other end of the vacuum line that comes off the tranny seems to just dead end just behind the exhaust manifold on a short metal piece that its clamped to. Is that correct? I kind of thought it would attach to something else? Any help with that or diagnosing the overall problem would be a great help and greatly appreciated.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:30 AM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,

My 96 has that same hose just hanging. Must be a drainage thing or something.

As for rough shifting and no power that leads me to believe its the catylitic converter is clogged if it has one, or something's wrong with the torque converter. Maybe both...

Old 07-24-2016, 01:18 PM
JayJantti

Thanks for the reply.
Another question if it was the cat, would it be pushing codes from the O2 sensor? Because it is not.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:13 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by JayJantti
Thanks for the reply.
Another question if it was the cat, would it be pushing codes from the O2 sensor? Because it is not.
No exactly. That third o2 sensor is *almost* useless on our trucks. My truck doesn't even have the cat and there's no codes. Hell, when I had it cut out the guy was a nard and didn't put the o2 sensor back in behind the spot where the cat was and it was just fine. Lol. I didn't even know it wasn't there until I seen the wire hanging down one day and made him fix it.

I'd give the cat a few thumps with something solid like a ball peen hammer and if something rattles or sounds like an empty pop corn bag, the cat has failed. I'd start there but again that may not be your only problem.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:29 PM
JayJantti

Thanks I'll give that a try.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:57 AM
Suzonda
Rookie

I had the same issue in my '92 w/ a the 3.9. Apparently there's a Low Band adjustment. What it'll do is it'll shimmy when you feed ah the beans, howl, then rev up to about 4k-ish RPM THEN shift into 2nd. If it's shifting from 3rd or 4th into 1st or second at random AND/OR if it tries to throw you through the windscreen between gears then I'd check your exhaust. If it doesn't have enough restriction it'll actually screw with the sensors and tell the trans to shift when it shouldn't and vice versa. Glasspacks are a BIG nono with these things I've learned. When you're cruising at highway speeds and step on it does it run normal or still act up?

Old 08-01-2016, 03:06 AM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by Suzonda
I had the same issue in my '92 w/ a the 3.9. Apparently there's a Low Band adjustment. What it'll do is it'll shimmy when you feed ah the beans, howl, then rev up to about 4k-ish RPM THEN shift into 2nd. If it's shifting from 3rd or 4th into 1st or second at random AND/OR if it tries to throw you through the windscreen between gears then I'd check your exhaust. If it doesn't have enough restriction it'll actually screw with the sensors and tell the trans to shift when it shouldn't and vice versa. Glasspacks are a BIG nono with these things I've learned. When you're cruising at highway speeds and step on it does it run normal or still act up?
Umm... What?!?! Exhaust has nothing to do with the transmission shifts.. And ple ty of people have out glass packs on these trucks. Are feeling out of sorts?

Old 08-01-2016, 01:25 PM
Suzonda
Rookie

Lets see.... 3" Glasspack the trans shifts like crap. 2.5" IN --> 1.75" OUT Trans shifts like crap. Factory exhaust or modified factory muffler and the thing runs fine. You're talking to a ASE Certified shop owner here... I know these trucks and know a lot people who had this exact issue. Feeling scared popping out of your lil' troll hole? Then feel free to stay in it.

Old 08-01-2016, 02:16 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Let's stop with the troll talk...we're all here to learn. With that this truck is a 93 which had an rh transmission. Not electronically controlled. The only external controls are the lockup and overdrive signals and mechanical linkage for gear shift and kickdown and throttle position. For my own education I'd like to know what sensors you are referring to that's going to affect shifting in an rh style transmission.

Last edited by robertmee; 08-01-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:21 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by Suzonda
Lets see.... 3" Glasspack the trans shifts like crap. 2.5" IN --> 1.75" OUT Trans shifts like crap. Factory exhaust or modified factory muffler and the thing runs fine. You're talking to a ASE Certified shop owner here... I know these trucks and know a lot people who had this exact issue. Feeling scared popping out of your lil' troll hole? Then feel free to stay in it.
Hahahaha. Ok. Whatever makes you feel better. But please, explain to all of us here how exhaust pressure, or lack there of in your "case" controls a transmission that is controlled by hydraulic pressure inside the transmission case that has no link to the exhaust whatsoever.

And then explain how many many many other people have put on whatever exhaust they've wanted and literally have had absolutely 0 problems with their automatic transmission.

Quick Reply: 93 dak, rough shifts,no power,