1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Dual exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 09:33 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dual exhaust question

I may be coming into some $$ soon as well as a new job with more $$ and might be getting the full exhaust I want. 2.5 true duals with magnaflow mufflers.

I came up with an idear. Tell me if it'd work how I think it would:

Buy an x pipe (or an h, one is better then the other but I forget which) then have the shop cut the y pipe where it meets and have each bacnk go to one side of the x pipe, have them put a bung in the x pipe for the o2 by the "cat" (there's not going to be a cat) then run the duals as normal out the back?

I don't want to do a simulator and I don't want a single dual exit muffler. I want true duals. Really it seems on Dakotas and maybe even all magnums, the last o2 sensor does next to nothing. (When I had my blowmaster put on and the cat removed the guy didn't even out any o2 in anywhere there. The only reason I knew it wasn't there was I got a cel that I shouldn't have gotten)

So, that idear sound solid? Or should the x pipe be in a specific place to get the best benefit?

Old 08-04-2016, 07:49 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker

I don't have an answer but interested in the responses....I plan on running duals too but with the location of the gas tank not sure how yet....plenty of room to run an h pipe under the cab and I will run cats as truck won't pass inspection without them in my state. But I won't have an o2 sensor as I have no computer. I thought about running side pipes instead of out the rear. But I'd like running boards so not sure that's an option too.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:59 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

2.5 may be a bit much with duels. I would go with 2 myself. To large of a pipe will kill performance just like to small. Engine displacement pays a part in this. If you are going to run cats just put the 02's on one side. If not and and it throws codes you will need a 02 simulator. Hope you have long tube headers to take advantage of the true duels.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:52 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

I would think it easier to just run new pipe from the manifold/headers back. What I would worry about is heat shielding for the underside of the truck and the plastic gas tank.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:14 AM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
I would think it easier to just run new pipe from the manifold/headers back. What I would worry about is heat shielding for the underside of the truck and the plastic gas tank.
The duals won't be any where near the gas tank.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:34 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by Moparite
2.5 may be a bit much with duels. I would go with 2 myself. To large of a pipe will kill performance just like to small. Engine displacement pays a part in this. If you are going to run cats just put the 02's on one side. If not and and it throws codes you will need a 02 simulator. Hope you have long tube headers to take advantage of the true duels.
Nope, no cats. Said that already. and I also said I'm not doing any simulators.

Nope, no long tubes. I have shorties. Don't even think long tubes will work on a 4wd due to where they come out on the torsion bars.

As for the performance, I'm not worried about performance. Lol performance is funny when it comes to magnums. Better have deal pockets. Besides, the difference between long tubes and good exhaust vs. What I'm doing is maybe 10hp at best. Hardly worth the extra money. I'm doing this purely for the sound I want.

Also, I read somewhere deep in the Internet's one night that the perfect exhaust for a 5.2 magnum is either 3" single or 2.5" duals.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:12 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

if your truck is older than 96 you do not need a sim. that is only 96 and newer where they had 02's before and after the cat. You definitely need the one O2 sensor though if 95 or older.... not a sim. whether you run a cat or not.
ok I fixed it... I see now how you might have been cornfused.

Last edited by volaredon; 08-08-2016 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:14 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by volaredon
if your truck is older than 96 you do not need a sim. that is only 96 and newer where they had 02's before and after the cat. You definitely need the one though if 95 or older.... not a sim. whether you run a cat or not.
It is a 96. No cat, no codes. Not sure how your post helped... But thanks?

Quick Reply: Dual exhaust question