1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Nv3500 update

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 08:21 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

The bolt is a 6mm X 1mm pitch, 30mm long. 4 of them.

As far as the oil goes, I want to say this, and this will be all from me on that subject.

Personally, I try not to throw one line answers out there. I believe an answer should have the logic behind it. That being said.......,

On their chart, they show 75-90 for a AX15 transmission. Clearly the wrong fluid. (just ask Tbugden what it does to a AX15)

Their chart shows 5-30 for a NV3500 and on their web site they even go as far as saying any quality 5-30 is fine.

They specifically say synthetic 5-30 for the nv3550

Why are they telling you synthetic oil in your NV3500 now?

To say the least, there are inconsistencies with what they post and what they have told you.

From this site, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Ve...0_transmission

I find this.

Lubrication[edit]
Lubricants for the NV3500:

OEM Recommended:
Mopar Manual Transmission Lubricant (4874464)
GM Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (in US 12377916 in Canada 10953465)
Less expensive alternatives CERTIFIED to meet GM 9985648 and Chrysler MS-9224:
AMSOIL Synthetic Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (MTF)
Pennzoil Synchromesh Fluid
Royal Purple Synchromax
Royal Purple Max Gear
RAVENOL STF Synchromesh Transmission Fluid
Capacity:

NV3500 4.2 pints DRY is stated in the Owners Manual and the Service Manual.
NV3500-HD 2.0 Litres is stated in the Owners Manual and the Service Manual.
When performing a fluid change some of the old oil will not drain out.
NOTE:

5W30 engine oil does not contain additives for use in manual transmissions.
Additives in standard gear and axle lubes will etch the bronze synchronizers and 80W oil will not properly flow into the NV3500 bearings

IMO, and it seems to be the opinion of GM, Chrysler, and New Venture, Motor oil does not have the additives needed to ensure a long life for the NV3500 transmission.

Good luck, and look forward to seeing your results with this truck.

BTW, what are your plans with the 5.9 engine. ie: are you keeping it stock?, keeping fuel injection,?

Old 10-26-2016, 08:39 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
Use whatever THEY tell you. Since its not a run of the mill nv3500 and its supposed to be there redesign use whatever they say.

Or more specifically, I would ask, what have you modified that would change the manufactures requirements for lubricants in a NV3500?

I cannot find any aftermarket parts for the NV3500 other then direct factory replacement parts, which would not change lubricant requirements. What did this company "redesign" with the NV3500 rebuild?

Last edited by 93 ragtop; 10-26-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:28 AM
dakota1996
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
The bolt is a 6mm X 1mm pitch, 30mm long. 4 of them.

As far as the oil goes, I want to say this, and this will be all from me on that subject.

Personally, I try not to throw one line answers out there. I believe an answer should have the logic behind it. That being said.......,

On their chart, they show 75-90 for a AX15 transmission. Clearly the wrong fluid. (just ask Tbugden what it does to a AX15)

Their chart shows 5-30 for a NV3500 and on their web site they even go as far as saying any quality 5-30 is fine.

They specifically say synthetic 5-30 for the nv3550

Why are they telling you synthetic oil in your NV3500 now?

To say the least, there are inconsistencies with what they post and what they have told you.

From this site, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Ve...0_transmission

I find this.

Lubrication[edit]
Lubricants for the NV3500:

OEM Recommended:
Mopar Manual Transmission Lubricant (4874464)
GM Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (in US 12377916 in Canada 10953465)
Less expensive alternatives CERTIFIED to meet GM 9985648 and Chrysler MS-9224:
AMSOIL Synthetic Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (MTF)
Pennzoil Synchromesh Fluid
Royal Purple Synchromax
Royal Purple Max Gear
RAVENOL STF Synchromesh Transmission Fluid
Capacity:

NV3500 4.2 pints DRY is stated in the Owners Manual and the Service Manual.
NV3500-HD 2.0 Litres is stated in the Owners Manual and the Service Manual.
When performing a fluid change some of the old oil will not drain out.
NOTE:

5W30 engine oil does not contain additives for use in manual transmissions.
Additives in standard gear and axle lubes will etch the bronze synchronizers and 80W oil will not properly flow into the NV3500 bearings

IMO, and it seems to be the opinion of GM, Chrysler, and New Venture, Motor oil does not have the additives needed to ensure a long life for the NV3500 transmission.

Good luck, and look forward to seeing your results with this truck.

BTW, what are your plans with the 5.9 engine. ie: are you keeping it stock?, keeping fuel injection,?
You do make a good point on the fluid choice and they haven't specified exactly what they put into the transmission to make it need a different kind of oil. This is very important to me that it gets the correct fluid because originally in my ax15 I was told it took Synchromesh and I used the Valvoline Synchromesh and let's just say as for as shift quality and noise it pretty much was shot in 2 years.

I want this tranny to have a long happy life and so I want to make sure that this is right. Are the less expensive alternatives a better way to go then the OEM Mopar fluid you think? I personally would probably aim towards the Royal purple Syncromax if it's fully compatible. Does anybody have experience with it?

As far as the engine. For the moment it will be stock other than exhaust and then later it's going to get improvements as money comes along. It will always have fuel injection on it even when I start to do big stuff to the motor I don't want to run a carb on this truck at all.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:31 AM
dakota1996
Professional

The fact that the wrong fluid in my ax15 is what destroyed it really puts. Me on edge. I paid what is to me alot of money for this tranny and I want it to last.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:15 AM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dakota1996
The fact that the wrong fluid in my ax15 is what destroyed it really puts. Me on edge. I paid what is to me alot of money for this tranny and I want it to last.
I'll just add that I researched the subject of lubricants for the NV3500 pretty thoroughly before choosing to run Pennzoil Synchromesh. I think any on the OEM recommended list are fine, but I want to change mine once in a while to keep a check on things, and some of the other stuff is quite expensive. People have run motor oils in their 3500's successfully from what I've read, and for many miles, but most folks I found run a lube from the manufacturer's list. Additives are important because some transmissions use different metals than are found in an engine, and a transmission lube doesn't have to deal with the job of suspending materials that occur from combustion.

Also, my thoughts on the rebuilder's comments are exactly as 93RT noted. The parts that go into rebuilding one of these transmissions come from the same suppliers, and I don't think anyone is manufacturing pieces made from different materials (doing away with bronze for instance) to try and improve on the OEM version. You can source higher quality parts (US or Japanese bearings vs. Chinese, for instance), but I haven't seen anyone engineering "new" internals for the NV3500.

If you talk with them again, see if they can tell you specifically what has been changed with respect to factory parts, i.e. synchros, bearings, etc.

Last edited by ragged89; 10-26-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:42 AM
dakota1996
Professional

Originally Posted by ragged89
I'll just add that I researched the subject of lubricants for the NV3500 pretty thoroughly before choosing to run Pennzoil Synchromesh. I think any on the OEM recommended list are fine, but I want to change mine once in a while to keep a check on things, and some of the other stuff is quite expensive. People have run motor oils in their 3500's successfully from what I've read, and for many miles, but most folks I found run a lube from the manufacturer's list. Additives are important because some transmissions use different metals than are found in an engine, and a transmission lube doesn't have to deal with the job of suspending materials that occur from combustion.

Also, my thoughts on the rebuilder's comments are exactly as 93RT noted. The parts that go into rebuilding one of these transmissions come from the same suppliers, and I don't think anyone is manufacturing pieces made from different materials (doing away with bronze for instance) to try and improve on the OEM version. You can source higher quality parts (US or Japanese bearings vs. Chinese, for instance), but I haven't seen anyone engineering "new" internals for the NV3500.

If you talk with them again, see if they can tell you specifically what has been changed with respect to factory parts, i.e. synchros, bearings, etc.
I sent them an email just now asking for some input of the kinds of synchros bearings and seals being used. And I've heard the Pennzoil stuff is cheap compared to like royal purple. I've just never been a Pennzoil fan myself. What was your reasoning on Pennzoil versus using any of the others other than cost?

Old 10-27-2016, 11:17 PM
dakota1996
Professional

Went to the parts store and this is what I found as far as Synchromesh fluid what so u guys think about this?

Old 10-28-2016, 11:04 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

I feel sure that is correct, but just to be safe, it appears the chrysler, compatible part no. on the bottle is 4874464. You could check your owners manual, and if by chance the number is different, then I would call the dealer and see if the number in your owners manual has been superseded with a different number.

Did the transmission co. ever answer your e-mail?

Old 10-28-2016, 11:23 AM
dakota1996
Professional

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
I feel sure that is correct, but just to be safe, it appears the chrysler, compatible part no. on the bottle is 4874464. You could check your owners manual, and if by chance the number is different, then I would call the dealer and see if the number in your owners manual has been superseded with a different number.

Did the transmission co. ever answer your e-mail?
No they did not answer the email. And I actually don't have a owners manual but that part number if u Google it brings up the Mopar Synchromesh for the nv3500

Old 10-28-2016, 03:09 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Then you should be fine. IMO brand of oil is more of a personal preference, whereas meeting spec designs is what is really important.

Quick Reply: Nv3500 update