1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Cardboard in Front of Radiator in the Winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 06:00 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Cardboard in Front of Radiator in the Winter

Just wondering, anyone block their radiator in this way? My truck takes a long time to warm up in cold temps and putting the heater on full blast makes it lose temperature FAST on downhills. Thermostat is a brand new 195 degree Stant and it gets up to proper temp. Same **** happens with my Subaru.

Diesel buses and tractors often have those covers but I've never seen them on gasoline vehicles. I just threw in a folded up wheel shipping box up in front of the rad and it definitely makes a difference. Also found my radiator is leaking which is cool...

Old 10-21-2016, 07:06 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

I've done it on a Ram 50 and it works. Turns out the valve in the heater box wasn't opening and closing properly. I had to replace the box with a junkyard box that works great now no cardboard necessary. You might consider making sure the box and heater core are working before it gets real cold. Can't imagine it being that cold in Connecticut yet.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:26 PM
tbugden
All Star

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
I've done it on a Ram 50 and it works. Turns out the valve in the heater box wasn't opening and closing properly. I had to replace the box with a junkyard box that works great now no cardboard necessary. You might consider making sure the box and heater core are working before it gets real cold. Can't imagine it being that cold in Connecticut yet.
Nah it's still pretty warm. It was 80 degrees two days ago. Two days before that it was 30 at night...haha. but yes, it's been too warm to actually need the blower at all but I've been testing the system in preparation for this winter. My stated experience is based on the previous few winters of being freezing in the cab. Admittedly a bad thermostat that opened too early was to blame for part of that.

Thanks. I'll check out the heater box valve.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:41 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's another option for ya and looks pretty good:

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/180914981412

I took mine out for the summer because they made the truck run too hot for my liking. But not that's its cooler they're perfect to be using.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:24 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
Here's another option for ya and looks pretty good:

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/180914981412

I took mine out for the summer because they made the truck run too hot for my liking. But not that's its cooler they're perfect to be using.

Kinda funny, that you recommend this to restrict air flow, and I have no doubt that it does, but the ad speaks to it not restricting air flow.....

Old 10-25-2016, 02:14 PM
tbugden
All Star

Thanks Toby. I like the look of that and I definitely plan to go to a mesh grille in the future to put lights behind, though that particular grille would be too obstructive. Still worth considering for the meantime.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:25 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop

Kinda funny, that you recommend this to restrict air flow, and I have no doubt that it does, but the ad speaks to it not restricting air flow.....
Oops... Wrong ones. Those ones may NOT do anything for restricting air flow. Those ones are a little different then the ones I have. Those ones have thinner material and larger holes then the ones I have. Coincidentally, I can't find the ones I have on eBay.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:56 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran

when i had my 92 i actually removed the rad fan and covered the rad with cardboard/ between AC condensor and rad.. for the winter.. but in canada we be friggen cold and had no problems... and my drive was only 20 minutes anyway , then when it warmed up i added a electric fan and sensor.. ..

my first 98 tj removed fan and covered rad.. still barelly any heat.. but thats a jeep lol

second jeep same thing... covered died from heat..

current 99 ram... TBD ..