1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

92 5.2 5speed swap problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 08:34 PM
Grease_Junkie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 5.2 5speed swap problems

Hows everyone.? I swapped the 46rh out for a 5speed. The guy told me it was nv3500 but come find out its from a v6. Thats not the problem, everything went great and it should hold just fine. My main question is that it is backfiring, it has never done it before the swap. Another note is i replaced the plugs with autolite stage 1 cooler cant remember number but i got ot from here. There were a cpl that would get real tight when loosening then continue to get loose and so on, replaced them all amd those 3 putting back in did the same thing. I dont know if i got them all as tight as they need due to it getting tight then loose but overall tight. I went back and tightened the ones and noticed i could keep going but i need some mopar help!! I will go back and check them amd possibly retighten them oh and 6month old 87 ethonal free gas👍👍 about a 1/4 tank and just put in 5gal of fresh 93. Any and all help apprecited you guys are more than helpful. Thank you. 134xxx miles as well.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:06 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The flywheel needs to be for a V8 for the crank sensor to pick up properly. Unfortunately the tranny needs to come out again.

You should be alright with the spark plugs. People generally way overt-tighten spark plugs. I usually go until they stop and then another 1/4 or 1/3 a turn to crush the crush washer. Granted that's with clean threads...a bit tougher to gauge torque with damaged threads but I'm guessing you'll be fine.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:19 PM
Grease_Junkie

F me man!!!! Thank you! Yea its a v6 flywheel guess i didnt do as much searching as i thought before i swapped it. Starter should be no problem and i figure any flywheel no matter vehicle as long as its 5.2 yea? That explains all my missfire and blue flames im getting.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:51 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Generally I think any 5.2 flywheel for a Magnum motor will work, but please confirm that the specific one you end up purchasing will be correct by the part number. Flywheels from LA motors '91 and earlier will not work as they did not use crank position sensors.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:37 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before I pulled the tranny again, I'd make sure all the plug wires are where the need to be.

I'm not saying you still won't have to pull it later, but that's a starting point.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:32 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Tbugden is correct on flywheel. FWIW, to verify the transmission, If it had a seperate bell housing, then it is the V6 transmission. If the bell housing is integrated with the transmission case, 1 piece, its a V8 transmission.
I am surprised it would run at all with a V6 flywheel assuming its still factory fuel injected.
BTW I think the manual transmission used a different crank sensor. The length is slightly different.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:40 AM
Grease_Junkie

10 4 it is the 2peice but just found out its the 14spline ax15 96-98 2wd 2.5, which is why i had to use a clutch from 84 camero and yes changed to manual cps and yes still fuel injected. So i told the guy he F^d me and to get me the right one and we will swap them so i can have what i paid for oh and flywheels clutch ect ect.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:59 PM
cs1984
Rookie

If my memory serves me right. The v8 flywheel will have 8 notches around the circumference approximately 1/2" wide evenly spaced. And the v6 I believe has 9 notches 3 single and 3 sets of double notches spaced in-between the single ones.
V6( - -- - -- - --)

V8( - - - - - - - -)

Also both manual transmissions ax15 and NV 3500 use a shorter crank sensor than an automatic. But I'm guessing you changed that already I don't think the flywheel will fit on with the longer one but I'm not sure.