1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1988 Intermediate Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 07:45 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

I put about 75 miles on it today (now, remember, I also had the column touched and replaced the rack and power steering pump); it was smooth, steady, and had no noticable play.

The wandering the front end did, I could actually feel in the steering wheel.

Alas, the alignment shop was closed today; I doubt I can get it aligned in the hour margin I have tomorrow between when they open and when I must leave to head to Winnfield LA for a job, but I'll try.

RwP

RwP

Old 12-28-2016, 12:41 AM
RalphP
Champion

Didn't get the front end aligned, so I had to drive to Winnfield LA and back home - about 215 miles round trip with the detour to pick up some medicine for the wife (still recovering from a 360* back surgery earlier this year.)

It bump steers a bit ... but there's zero, no, nil, none play in the steering now.

I'm almost afraid at how good it'll go after the alignment tomorrow (28 December).

RwP

Old 12-31-2016, 12:11 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I've been doing a little research and have a couple things to add. From what I gather from part numbers and mopar websites, this relates to steering from '88-'93. Not sure what changed after that or what was different in '87.

So this is what I found.
-sorry, posting from my phone.

The diagram shows both 2wd and 4wd steering boxes, and the reference numbers are.. the same! The actual part numbers are:

04470092 - upper shaft (24 in diagram)
04470096 - lower shaft (25 in diagram)

One more thing to note. The 2wd lower joint makes a very sharp angle compared to the 4wd, point being that if the aftermarket joint Ralph used worked in his 2wd, it should with no.doubt work in a 4wd.

So conclusion is that Ralph's thread here should be directly useful for all Dakotas, 4wd and 2wd, from '88-'93 AT LEAST.

Old 12-31-2016, 12:26 PM
RalphP
Champion

Heh. The 2WD may be sharper than the 4WD, but my 2WD is nowhere near as sharp as the angle in my stepson's 1991 Astro van.

Just as a comparision.

Hrm ... those lower parts may swap that entire range, but that upper housing isn't made like my steering column; although, if I'd been Chrysler, I'd have changed just the upper to support the clock spring and air bag.

RwP

Old 12-31-2016, 07:22 PM
tbugden
All Star

Yeah perhaps I'm mistaken. It's such a rabbit hole to try to find the right OEM part numbers.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:57 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

RalphP, it looks great. Simple and functional, and not mention much more reliable than the stock weak joints.

I saw this thread and figured I share my build as well. Mine is a 93 4wd and looking at your 88 it is very similar.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ml#post3323028

Also there are the OEM parts catalogs in the FAQ in this section which lists all the part numbers.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:36 AM
OMGnanerpus
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just pulled my truck apart over the weekend. Damn my upper joint was a pain to get off! I also only have a 36 spline joint on the steering box side. The upper side is DD on both sides of the joint. Surprised me. Every other Dakota i saw had the splines on both ends. Replaced my lower joint, need to order an upper now

95 SLT 4x4 v6 if anyone can confirm that they have the same joint as me instead of the splines

Last edited by OMGnanerpus; 01-16-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:04 PM
tbugden
All Star

Originally Posted by OMGnanerpus
Just pulled my truck apart over the weekend. Damn my upper joint was a pain to get off! I also only have a 36 spline joint on the steering box side. The upper side is DD on both sides of the joint. Surprised me. Every other Dakota i saw had the splines on both ends. Replaced my lower joint, need to order an upper now

95 SLT 4x4 v6 if anyone can confirm that they have the same joint as me instead of the splines

Mine is splined on my '93. I just finished replacing the shaft and two joints. How did you replace your lower joint? Mine just seems a permanent part of the shaft.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:28 PM
OMGnanerpus
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tbugden
Mine is splined on my '93. I just finished replacing the shaft and two joints. How did you replace your lower joint? Mine just seems a permanent part of the shaft.
It was just held on with 2 set screws. The old joint has "Borgeson" stamped into it, so i assume it must have been replaced at some point. I have a new shaft, but i couldn't use it with the old upper joint.