1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

318 swap wiring

Old 12-02-2016, 03:17 PM
snotnosedpunk
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 318 swap wiring

I am working on a 3.9 to 5.2 swap on a 93 4x4 5 speed and I am not sure about fuel injector wiring. I am connecting the 7 and 8 Pins to 17 and 18 on the pcm connector. I am just not sure what to do with the other wire on the injectors. Please help I have very little experience with any wiring. Feel free to dumb it down for me.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:25 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snotnosedpunk
I am working on a 3.9 to 5.2 swap on a 93 4x4 5 speed and I am not sure about fuel injector wiring. I am connecting the 7 and 8 Pins to 17 and 18 on the pcm connector. I am just not sure what to do with the other wire on the injectors. Please help I have very little experience with any wiring. Feel free to dumb it down for me.
As I recall, there's a factory splice in the harness where the injector 12V feeds come together, in fact I think there's a 12V splice for each bank of cylinders (one on each side). The wires from the ground side of each injector go to the PCM. It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure I just ran the 12V side of the two new injector connectors to the 12V feed splice. Of course, you could also run a new 12V feed just for the 2 new injectors.

To find the splices, you'll need to unwrap the engine wire harness, starting near the injectors, until you find where several wires come together in a splice. Either visually, or using a volt/ohm meter, verify the wires in the splice go to the 12V side of the existing injectors. The wires should have 12V on them when the switch is in the run position. Once you verify that, you can add your new injector's 12V feed wire to the splice.

Make a good connection, soldering is best, then seal with silicone and shrink tube. If you use crimp-style connections you should seal them with silicone and shrink tube.

Last edited by ragged89; 12-02-2016 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Corrected statements regarding injector grounds
Old 12-02-2016, 10:40 PM
snotnosedpunk
Rookie

Thank you. I went back outside and found that. Where can i get the pins for injector 7 and 8? Does anyone sell them new or do I need to go to a junkyard? It seems that the pins from the 96 harness that I have are too short.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:16 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

That's a different connector for 1996 (due to the completely different ECU), so you may need to hit the boneyard for a quick job. Good news! 1992-1995 will fit. Better news! If you already have the rest of the wiring, you can filch ANY of the pins from any of the 88-95 ECU harnesses!

I'd have to check it and see what pins and recepticles they are ... I bet they're still available new, but the shipping on two pins will just about kill you, I think.

RwP

Old 12-02-2016, 11:48 PM
ragged89
All Star

I looked back at my notes and realized I needed to edit my first reply post because I got the 12V and ground info backward. The negative (ground) side of the injector is the one going to the PCM, the other side goes to a common 12V splice. I corrected my reply, so anyone reading it later won't get confused (like I was!).

Yeah, to get the pins you need, the easiest thing is to pull some pins out of a junk yard connector. A few years ago I took the below info from a Neon forum; the connector and method is the same as in your '93 Dakota. Here's how you pull out the pins:

First step is to pry out the red plastic terminal retainers. Then, using a small screwdriver next to each terminal, gently push away the release tab and pull out the wire. This does require quite a bit of patience since it is difficult to find each release tab in all the grease. A good light helps.

Here's what the connector pins (female) look like after they're removed from the connector:

Last edited by ragged89; 12-02-2016 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:38 PM
snotnosedpunk
Rookie

Thanks for the replies. I'll get my pins on monday morning. Motor is in with new clutch kit and flywheel. I just got my mopar performance pcm today. Connecting injector 7 and 8 is all I have left to do.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:59 AM
snotnosedpunk
Rookie

Sorry I didn't get back to you guys sooner. I got it up and running. Since I did the swap recently and its fresh in my brain... If anyone needs help ask me. I'll see what I can do to help you figure it out.
Again thanks for the replies and the help.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:41 PM
94ederaraterebel
Default Pins

Originally Posted by snotnosedpunk
Sorry I didn't get back to you guys sooner. I got it up and running. Since I did the swap recently and its fresh in my brain... If anyone needs help ask me. I'll see what I can do to help you figure it out.
Again thanks for the replies and the help.
how did you get your pins? I have been looking for 2 weeks on where to find these damn things. No local junkyards seem to have any donor harnesses I could snag some off of. This is basically all I have left on my 360 swap and none of the forums say anything about it other than "simply wire your injectors into v6 harness" I just need pins for #17 & #18 and I'll be done. Lol

Old 03-18-2017, 11:30 AM
ragged89
All Star

A donor harness is about the only place you're going to find those pins nowadays. Luckily though, other Mopars from the 80's and early 90's used these pins, so it wouldn't have to be a Dakota harness you get them from. Just look at yours, and look for same in various chrysler/dodge vehicles at the JY.

If that doesn't work out for you, maybe you can "re-allocate" a couple pins from elsewhere in your connector. Maybe you have something you're not going to need, like AC-related signals, or maybe cruise control. You could use a couple pins like that and replace them later when you find some.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:39 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 94ederaraterebel
how did you get your pins? I have been looking for 2 weeks on where to find these damn things. No local junkyards seem to have any donor harnesses I could snag some off of. This is basically all I have left on my 360 swap and none of the forums say anything about it other than "simply wire your injectors into v6 harness" I just need pins for #17 & #18 and I'll be done. Lol
Are you needing the pcm connector from a harness? I have one from my engine swap...I eliminated the computer....don't need the connector anymore.

Search this Thread