1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Truck stalling while driving. Then won't restart.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 11:46 PM
Jon Johnston
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so I tested the coil. It tested ok. But the plug that goes to the coil has the 12v that's on the hole time but not the signal volts. It should flash multiple times when I try turning it over. But it doesn't do anything. So now I'm wandering about the switch. It must be a dirty connection or a bad wire somewere. Has anyone experienced this same issue before?

Old 01-21-2017, 12:30 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

The signal won't necessarily show up on a trouble light; and the 12V SHOULD be there all the time. Check the factory service manual's wiring diagram; 12V is off the ASD, and the other side is grounded by the ECM.

An incandescent won't be on enough to show it; a LED might not have enough on time. Besides, you're actually looking for OFF time on that side; when the PCM grounds it.

A NOID light should show you if it's working or not. Or the old fashioned spark plug tester on the output of the coil.

RwP

Old 01-22-2017, 02:35 AM
Jon Johnston
Rookie

Thank you all for your input. I put a light tester in the plug and had light on when I turned it over. Then I tested the coil with a spark plug and didn't get any spark. I took the coil out and tested it. Wasn't getting the right reading on my omh tested so I tryed another tester still a bad read. Came up as 672. So I bought a new coil tested it came up 1268. Put it in the truck and it fired right up.
. So happy that it wasn't the ECU. Went to pick-n-pull. They didn't have a V8 in there yard. So I bought a new bumper and a bunch of little things my truck needed.
Thanks again for all the feedback. It helped a lot.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:47 AM
Jon Johnston
Rookie

Thanks RalphP for your input. Without it I would still be lost on what the issue was.
I also got the distributor cap to tighten down. I had to back the bolts out of the cap. Put some washers on the top of the bolts and also used a threader in the holes.
Nice and tight now. No more slop or movement. I also cross referenced the autolite spark plugs with the recommended champ. And they were not on the chart. So I called Autozone and asked if they were the right ones for my truck. They said they were. Checked the gap and it was wrong. So I regaped them to the right gab.
Just glad my truck is running. Got so much work to get cought up on now. As soon as I dump the leaves in the back.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:52 AM
smokin1994
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But I mentioned the coil as well!!!!! Why does RalphP get all the credit????

Attached Thumbnails Truck stalling while driving.  Then won't restart.-c7a7c4551c599437398c5debe7d57a06.jpg  
Old 01-23-2017, 03:14 PM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by smokin1994
But I mentioned the coil as well!!!!! Why does RalphP get all the credit????
Hee!

Dunno, maybe he didn't see your post?

Or it was my "grizzled grey beard" that convinced him?

The aura of authority that age confers?

Who knows?

RwP

Old 01-26-2017, 04:17 AM
Jon Johnston
Rookie

Smokin1994. Thank you too. I did say every one. But you want that personalized thank you. So yes thank you very much.

With out you all. I wouldn't of been able to get back to work. In the last 3 days I worked 48 hours out of the 72. Trying to get cought up. I been running all over town. Taking down Xmas lights, getting an apartmsent ready to rent and my one day a week. Pulling weeds/ gardening for $25 an hour.
Without my truck I can't get my ladder around from house to house. Last year I had it dropped off at one house and carried it to the next house on the circle to do. It sat at one of the houses for two months before I found someone to go get it.
So to you all and this sight I am very much thankful. Lot of good information from everyone. Information I used to get from my father-in-law. Who has sense past on. Drag racing his 68 Cornet. Station wagon in heaven now.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:29 PM
Jon Johnston
Rookie
Default Taking air conditioner pump off. What size belt?

I plan on taking my air conditioner pump off. However I tryed 3 different belt sizes and can't seem to find one that fits.
Has anyone done this ? Do I need to change a pulley or something to be able to put a shorter belt on? The belts seem to go from the right size to an inch to short. No in between.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:46 PM
RalphP
Champion

If it's the Magnum, you SHOULD be able to order the non-AC belt and install it; the path is actually on the belt routing placard under the hood (and in the FSM).

If it's the LA, and serpentine belt, I don't know.

If it's the LA and multiple belt, I don't know what length is the right one either *grins* But you can cheat it some on both of those by using a piece of twine wrapped the path you want; pull it taut, mark it, then measure it, and you want about 1/2" to 1" shorter to give the tensioner something to work on (serp belt) or, adjust the V-belt in all the way, measure it, and get the 1/2" to 1" LONGER belt and adjust it out.

I don't see where you've ever mentioned the year of your truck. That may make a bit of difference since there's THREE different accessory belt / routing designs in the 1st gen.

But checking RockAuto - they list an 88.5" belt for non-AC with PS; 77.5 w/o AC or PS; and 97.5 w/AC and PS; for the Magnum only.

For the LAs, they list the V-belts only for the 3.9. For those, the official non-AC has an idler pulley to replace the compressor.

RwP