1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

4X4 Lower control arm bushings

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 10:20 PM
cky4987
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4X4 Lower control arm bushings

Hey guys,

new to the forum here after recently picking up a 93' V6 4X4. I quickly found out about the lower control arm bushing dilemma as mine need replaced. I've seen the guide on cutting one to size, but am not too keen on doing that unless absolutely necessary. I was thinking of contacting a couple of the popular suspension part companies to see what kind of minimum order they'd want to create a custom lower bushing that would actually fit correctly. I wanted to post on here to see what kind of interest other users may have. It's a long shot, but figured I might as well try. Please chime in if you'd be interested! Thanks.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:25 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

There's a posting here where someone used the 2WD bushings; you have to trim one of them, and maybe tack weld another one.

RwP

Old 01-10-2017, 12:25 AM
cky4987

Originally Posted by RalphP
There's a posting here where someone used the 2WD bushings; you have to trim one of them, and maybe tack weld another one.

RwP
Yeah I'm aware of that option. Just reserving it as a last resort.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:26 AM
cky4987

After doing some more research, maybe an easier option would be to get some universal bushings with the same sizing specs. Would anyone be able to provide some measurements??? I have to believe there's a bushing out there that will fit. Energy Suspension has a tutorial on measuring here.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:11 AM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

For what it's worth, if you're careful, the result of trimming of that one bushing and sleeve will be exactly the same as getting one custom made. No hack job at all. If you want then absolutely impeccable you could take the arm and new bushings and sleeves to a machine shop and tell them to cut it down *perfect*, as opposed to what I and others have accomplished with Dremel, files, and utility knife.

Good luck with whatever route you go.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:13 AM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

And sorry I didn't take good measurements while I had mine apart.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:25 AM
cky4987

Originally Posted by tbugden
For what it's worth, if you're careful, the result of trimming of that one bushing and sleeve will be exactly the same as getting one custom made. No hack job at all. If you want then absolutely impeccable you could take the arm and new bushings and sleeves to a machine shop and tell them to cut it down *perfect*, as opposed to what I and others have accomplished with Dremel, files, and utility knife.

Good luck with whatever route you go.
I understand. In the end I'll probably go the route of cutting it myself, but just wanted to try and find a simpler solution to the problem for others in the future. Once I get around to replacing mine, I will make sure to take measurements.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:45 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

I dont know this for sure, but I believe there never was a replacement lower control arm bushing (rubber) for these trucks. The orig. bushing is just rubber, not a metal housing driven into the arm like the upper. The lower bushing housing is actually the lower control arm.... Hope that makes sense.
In short, I believe the lower bushing required replacement of the lower control arm. It was all one assembly.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:18 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts
Default What am I in for

I just picked up a 96 4WD, I have had a few 2 WD's
I had to do the uppers on my 93, not a big deal at all. Looking at how this 96 has eaten the front tires I am pretty sure that I will be going into the front end once I get the transmission finished, that was laying in the bed when I bought the truck.
Enlighten me on the lower control arm bushings. Are they not available? I am a former 20 year front end alignment guy but I can't say that I have ever had to do lower control arm bushings on one of these trucks. My 1st look will be my Moog catalog if I find any wear in the front end. That is All that I use, except for occasionally getting various bushings from either PST or energy suspension

Old 01-11-2017, 01:29 PM
cky4987

Originally Posted by volaredon
I just picked up a 96 4WD, I have had a few 2 WD's
I had to do the uppers on my 93, not a big deal at all. Looking at how this 96 has eaten the front tires I am pretty sure that I will be going into the front end once I get the transmission finished, that was laying in the bed when I bought the truck.
Enlighten me on the lower control arm bushings. Are they not available? I am a former 20 year front end alignment guy but I can't say that I have ever had to do lower control arm bushings on one of these trucks. My 1st look will be my Moog catalog if I find any wear in the front end. That is All that I use, except for occasionally getting various bushings from either PST or energy suspension
Yep that's right. They no longer make them anymore. At one point in time they were a replaceable part, Part # 4322549 to be exact. I've done extensive online research, but as far as I'm aware there's no aftermarket producer for them. You can easily find the 2WD replacements, but 4WD just plain doesn't exist. Moog only offers the uppers FYI. It seems like such an odd part to have this much trouble getting. I really think if we get the correct measurements from the control arm, it'd be quite easy to find a suitable universal replacement, or one originally designed for another vehicle. Other than that, the only suggested option I've seen is to purchase the Energy Suspension kit and cut them to size.