1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

upgrading fuel inject soon

Old 02-18-2017, 07:15 PM
demonkota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question upgrading fuel inject soon

what is a good lbs to go to and brand on fuel inject to go to. im upgrading soon to a 52mm big gulp throttle body. what would pair up with it and produce good power and im wanting a diff intake man but having trouble finding one.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:02 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

It's an oldie, but here's a comparision of several Magnum intakes. http://www.allpar.com/mopar/performance/manifolds.html

Before you do any of this, who's doing the tuning for your ECU, and how are you tuning it?

RwP

Old 02-19-2017, 06:24 PM
demonkota

i will be im going to school at lincoln tech for auto main and high performance.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:35 PM
RalphP
Champion

Then why are you asking us what size to use?

Figure up how much horsepower you'll be making at the high end, figure up what that's 80% of, and scale up to the next standard size.

Injector sizing is fairly easy with the calculators on the web, such as at http://www.deatschwerks.com/resource...tor-calculator . Work backwards from your target HP at the crank, but keep it at 80% or less duty cycle.

You do not, Do Not, DO NOT!!! ... want to run lean at WOT, ESPECIALLY if you do a power adder, unless you just love buying cylinder heads and possibly pistons, rods, and cranks *grins*

(Massive preignition at WOT can cause some ... interesting side products.)

RwP

Old 02-20-2017, 10:30 AM
demonkota

was asking cause it will be next july before i get into high preform. and like to know what others have done cause no matter how much schooling u have u will always learn something from others.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:18 PM
RalphP
Champion

See that calculator.

Do remember, a 95 isn't OBDII; it's got a SBEC, not flashable without modification.

THAT part is easily doable if you're not scared about some hot solder *grins* Just check out the Mopar turbo forums.

However, the code to flash with ... now, that's been a different subject in my digging.

(I started programming with hot solder back in the 60's ... yep, I'm that old. Started playing with gaseous state devices in the late 60's, and progressed to solid state and computers. Not scared of the hardware mods, but can't find the image files to tune my truck with. Le sigh.)

RwP

Old 02-21-2017, 06:12 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

IMO there is no upgrade for a stock motor. The 2 parts you mention, injectors and throttle body are only different in size, compared to stock parts. Therefore, they are not an upgrade.
It is like taking a factory 60's motor that may have come with a 600cfm 4b. carb. Simply replacing it with a 850 cfm carb is not an upgrade. In fact, it will probably hurt the performance of the motor. If will only help when there are other mods done to the motor that require more fuel and air.

Again, IMO, Injectors should be the last part to pick on engine mods. Here is how I would start

1. Decide what RPM range I plan to use the vehicle in.
2. Decide CID, ie 318, 360, or 408.
3. Pick compression, cam, and heads as a matched package, based on the 2 above questions.
4. Pick exhaust system.
5. Pick intake manifold, injectors, throttle body, computer, etc. based on above.

If I was going with a modified motor making over 300 hp or so, I would look at the holley, or fast, systems out there. These systems are getting better and cheaper as time goes by. ODB1 factory systems are very hard to modify, and take a lot of knowledge and experience to do so.

Search this Thread