1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Bed to Cab Ground Strap Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 02:26 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bed to Cab Ground Strap Help

I knew I didn't take enough pictures

So, Bed and Cab back on frame, and I'm struggling as to where the ground straps go. This is on a 90 Vert.

What I took off originally is pictured, and my best recollection is that they were held by one bolt (see bolt hole pic) on the bed frame rail, and then somewhere on the cab. But now, the only place I see that these would reach is the seat belt mounts underneath the cab, and that just doesn't seem right (mounts pictured). The old straps have wear areas in the insulation and it does line up right where they were rubbing the edge of the bed. Ignore the seatbelt mounts where the paint has been taken off...I was doing that anticipating that's where the straps go, but the don't really fit...the holes on the straps are too small to go flush, so I'm starting to second guess as to where they go, and if they are even original or correct.

When I check the FSM, page 8W-11, they are shown as flat straps in completely different areas. They are shown on the back side of the bed and cab, not underneath, and on each corner (see picture). I checked my 95 and it has no straps that I can find. I checked my 90 and it has no holes in the back of the bed or cab for the straps shown in the FSM.

Can someone please tell me on an 87-90 where their ground straps are? Pictures would be great!!!

Thanks

Last edited by robertmee; 02-20-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:21 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

I don't know where it, or they, go to on the cab; but dead center right/left, about even with the two front bolts (one each side) that hold the bed to the frame.

I may have to crawl under and look, now that I've gotten my curiosity up.

Son of a gun. That's the same drawing my FSM has ... and equally wrong *grins*

RwP

Old 02-21-2017, 06:01 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Thanks for confirming I'm not losing my mind...yes on the bed about mid center....but on the cab the only point I see to secure are the seat belt through mounts...and that just seems odd.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:30 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Don't worry about climbing under the truck Ralph. I checked an 87 that I knew was sitting around and it's as I thought...they attach to the two seat belt mounts.