1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Best Locking Fuel Cap??

Old 02-25-2017, 09:59 AM
FredT
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Locking Fuel Cap??

Hey guys, just want to "pick your brain" for a moment. A couple of years ago I bought a locking fuel cal for my Dakota, as my adopted 10 year old decided he wanted to tinker with my truck. Last week I went out one day to add a little fuel & discovered that that cap was sitting atop the filler hose almost in pieces. It became really obvious to me at that moment how cheaply the cap was made. Manufacturers name starts with "St" - although I am reluctant to call names here. Have always had a lot of faith in that brand - but that faith is growing weaker. So here's my question: Do you know of a manufacturer who makes a high quality, mostly metal fuel cap? that has an impeccable reputation for durability?? Price IS a consideration - although I would be willing to pay more for a good - almost unbreakable - cap. "THANKS" in advance for your input!!.... FredT

Old 02-25-2017, 10:22 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

"ST", as well as other aftermarket parts manufacturers have gone down the tubes in quality control as well as just not giving a damn anymore.

To get a "normal" part from 15-20 years ago costs a premium today, IF it can even be done at all.

I don't know of any as I don't recommend them because all the cars I work on now have Evaporative Emissions they tend to cause intermittent evap leak codes.

Just Google "best" and such, and read the reviews. FYI, I can get into ANY of them in less than 20 seconds with a flathead screwdriver.

Last edited by TNtech; 02-25-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:55 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

I live in Oregon where you have to have an attendant pump for you and the pump guy showed me that he could open my locking cap by pressing his thumb down hard on the key slot and turning it I can't replicate it but it is disheartening.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:24 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
I live in Oregon where you have to have an attendant pump for you and the pump guy showed me that he could open my locking cap by pressing his thumb down hard on the key slot and turning it I can't replicate it but it is disheartening.

haha, yeah. There are some like that too. However, they can't steal your gas through the filler anymore because there is a caged check ball at the end.

And sugar just sinks to the bottom. Just get a regular cap

Old 02-28-2017, 08:59 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

There is another possibility also ...

I have bought outdoor cabinet locks, drilled a hole in the fuel cap door, and mounted it in previous vehicles.

You may also be able to find a locking fuel door kit to add to your truck.

I find these better than locking gas caps anyway; that way you don't have to worry so much about the evap system failing due to a bad cap.

RwP

Old 02-28-2017, 09:47 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Thanks Ralph did not know that was an option.

Search this Thread