Grinding sounds when turning/Headlight Switch - DodgeForum.com

1st Gen Dakota '96 & Older Dakota's

Grinding sounds when turning/Headlight Switch

Old 03-19-2017, 03:39 PM
93Dak3.9

Exclamation Grinding sounds when turning/Headlight Switch

More problems discoveries today! When I'm in a parking lot doing slow speed maneuvering and I'm turning the steering wheel, there is a grinding sound that comes from the front of the truck like something is rubbing in there. I haven't been able to pinpoint it and I'm at a loss for ideas. Tie rod ends?
My second issue is that my headlight switch when I pull it all the way out to the "headlight" indent, the headlights don't come on. Only the parking lights. If I pull on the turn signal stalk the hi-lo headlights come on but otherwise, it's just the DRL's and parking lights. Would a new switch solve the issue or is it a wiring problem?
Old 03-19-2017, 05:57 PM
RalphP
Record Breaker

For the headlights - a new switch will fix it for now; the basic problem is a wiring design problem, IMO - too much current, not enough usage of relays.

If buying a new switch, consider buying a new connector also; sometimes the connector will overhead with the switch and fail too.

RwP
Old 03-19-2017, 08:35 PM
brianb83

I have the same grinding sound!! I just joke about it saying I can grind a clutch in an automatic because to me that's exactly what it sounds like.

In all seriousness, I was thinking it might have something to with the steering knuckle but I've got no clue.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:01 PM
RalphP
Record Breaker

*shrug* I have it on the driver's side only, on a hard right turn, due to running P235/75R15s on stock springs.

ANY lift and I'd be clear; it's the tire rubbing.

(I just avoid hard right turns *grins* )

RwP
Old 03-20-2017, 08:57 PM
93Dak3.9

@ RalphP I'm running the same tires as you but I only got shocks on the front ProComps ES3000's. Lift kit I guess?
Old 03-20-2017, 10:45 PM
RalphP
Record Breaker

The 4x4s are already higher; if nothing else, a bit of torsion bar lift should help.

But yah, that could be it, all by its lonesome.

RwP
Old 03-21-2017, 11:34 AM
elementaltoad
Amateur

If your truck is anything like mine was, it probably sags really bad in the front. I cranked the torsion bars until I had about 34.5" from the bottom of the flare to the ground with 235/75/15s. It clears fine now.

For the headlights, get a new switch and make sure the connector on the harness that plugs in isn't burnt up or you will just have the same issue soon after. I had to splice in a new pigtail and connector. Mine was completely melted. I then added a headlight relay kit to take the load off the headlight switch itself and keep the new one from melting. I got it off Amazon, Putco headlight relay for 9004/9007 headlights.

Search this Thread