1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Interior Color Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 08:26 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interior Color Change

So in the ongoing restoration of the 90 vert I'm thinking the mauve interior isn't going to fly....really would like a dark grey. How hard is it to change the color of the interior? Any experience with the color bond spray dyes? Can the dash be painted in place?

Old 03-21-2017, 12:08 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

I just got dark grey plastic pieces from a 95 at the JY for my light grey 94. I still have the 94 pieces. I did paint my plastic mirrors and it went well, see the door glass channel thread I made. Take your time. It works best when the sun is hot so they dry fast. Stay out of drafts when you paint. Start by washing the parts with dish soap and water. Have some 220 and paint thinner to smooth the paint between coats of primer and coats of finish. Hang them from a wire in a draft free garage if you can. Wear a dust mask. EDIT- I also redid my headliner. You can get stock grey headliner at Joann Fabrics or almost any kind of headliner you like. I did not try to scrape the old dried foam off the card once I removed the old cloth. Be careful it's formed and layer cardboard and weak on the edges. Tip- Make sure you have the sun visor holes lined up before trying to put it back in.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 03-21-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:10 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vert...no headliner

Did you do the dash also?

Old 03-21-2017, 08:31 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Nope, it came with one of those carpet covers on it. I've just left it on there. Aside from the velcro spots glued on its in good shape. The original owner lived in SoCal I think he was out in SanBernardino area so he just covered it when he got it then the guy I got it from had it in a garage for 10 years. I got the coverlay door cards. It ends up being 3 different greys but it looks right.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:53 PM
Snowman451
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did mine in place for what wasnt easily removed using a readily available Ford black. Please ignore the weak mask job, as I was having the windshield replaced soon after this was taken.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:53 PM
rabid_goat
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few months ago I repainted everything inside the cab. First I tried the rattlecan Rustoleum plastic paint/primer. That went down ok and had good coverage, but it also had a lot of overspray. Also, the paint deteriorated really fast. The panels in the sun quickly faded, and the paint could be easily scratched off just by rubbing the door or dash too hard. The paint that worked the best for me was SEM bumper paint. It is expensive ($12/can) but well worth it in my opinion since it doesn't scratch or fade as easily.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:10 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

SEM paint.

It's been recommended to wash everything sell with SEM soap first; it helps to strip all the oiliness off the surface so the dye can penetrate better.

RwP

Old 03-23-2017, 12:40 AM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The door panels and a few other pieces are polypropylene and paint does not adhere well. I've done it several times, best results I've gotten came from cleaning the panel with MEK, letting it dry, then running a flame over the panel just before spraying the dye. Use a small torch and pass the flame over about a foot square section until it appears oily, then spray before the oily-ness dries. This is supposed to improve adhesion, but its still less than ideal.

Better plan, I think, is to get some after market ABS panels. They come in a few colors, and paint adhere's better than on polypropylene.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:44 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Sem products have been the market leader in interior dying. Don't use PAINT! They make all different kinds of things that will do what you need. Don't skimp on the prep! It is key to good adhesion.

https://www.semproducts.com/

Old 03-23-2017, 11:04 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

mauve? never heard of it....